Getting diagnosed as an adult

Hi, this is my first post. 

How does anyone approach their GP about how to get diagnosed? I am only wondering because a few years ago while I was expecting a baby my midwife at the time reported me to social services for signs of me being autistic. At the time, I was frustrated and then as years went by I thought more about what the midwife said and thought she may be right. I did a few tests and they say I am very likely to be autistic. I would like to know for my own sake and peace of mind.

I just don't know how to approach the GP about it. Where I come from I don't see a regular GP/family GP who knows my medical history. I get really anxious to speak to someone and get really muddled. I want to find the right words when I finally pluck up the courage to speak to my GP just don't know what to say or how. Has anyone had experience of this?

Thanks

Parents
  • Your GP will probably go through the shorter AQ-10 during a 10 minute appointment.

Current NICE guidelines state:

• For adults with possible autism who do not have a moderate or severe learning disability, consider using the Autism-Spectrum Quotient – 10 items (AQ-10). (If a person has reading difficulties, read out the AQ-10.) If a person scores 6 or above on the AQ-10, or autism is suspected based on clinical judgement (taking into account any past history provided by an informant), offer a comprehensive assessment for autism.

You can find lots of further tests online, including the AQ-50 and the RAADS-R. You can print off the results of these to take with you. It might also help if you can think of some real life examples to support the answers you have provided in the online tests.

https://embrace-autism.com/

Don't worry about your ability to verbally communicate failing. If anything that adds weight to you needing an autism assessment. As already suggested write down as much as you can in advance and you can show that even if you can't communicate it verbally.

• Your GP will probably go through the shorter AQ-10 during a 10 minute appointment.

Current NICE guidelines state:

• For adults with possible autism who do not have a moderate or severe learning disability, consider using the Autism-Spectrum Quotient – 10 items (AQ-10). (If a person has reading difficulties, read out the AQ-10.) If a person scores 6 or above on the AQ-10, or autism is suspected based on clinical judgement (taking into account any past history provided by an informant), offer a comprehensive assessment for autism.

You can find lots of further tests online, including the AQ-50 and the RAADS-R. You can print off the results of these to take with you. It might also help if you can think of some real life examples to support the answers you have provided in the online tests.

https://embrace-autism.com/

Don't worry about your ability to verbally communicate failing. If anything that adds weight to you needing an autism assessment. As already suggested write down as much as you can in advance and you can show that even if you can't communicate it verbally.

Children
No Data