My life in the workplace

That's me, 100%. Thankfully I managed to find a way to keep HR off my back

Parents
  • I could not hold down a desk job owing to office politics. I recognised my limitation well before entering the job market many years ago. I am now retired after having spent my worklife applying my accumulated skills either on the shop floor where uninterupted focus was required around rotating machinery, or working for myself as a one man band offering an outdoor service to the public where contact was minimalised.

• My role is production team leader. Half office and half shop floor. I'm lucky that my boss is out on the road a lot so most of the time I have the small office to myself. When I have to deal with production staff I mask up and my alter ego does what needs to be done to get through each day. It's absolutely exhausting for me, and most nights I come home, go for a walk, have some food, then fall asleep in front of the TV because I can't keep my eyes open. I stick at it because it's my only real link to other humans and I fear that if I stopped working I would become a complete recluse. I can't say I enjoy it much while I'm there but it sort of 'normalises' me, which means different things to different people but I know what it means to me.

• My role is production team leader. Half office and half shop floor. I'm lucky that my boss is out on the road a lot so most of the time I have the small office to myself. When I have to deal with production staff I mask up and my alter ego does what needs to be done to get through each day. It's absolutely exhausting for me, and most nights I come home, go for a walk, have some food, then fall asleep in front of the TV because I can't keep my eyes open. I stick at it because it's my only real link to other humans and I fear that if I stopped working I would become a complete recluse. I can't say I enjoy it much while I'm there but it sort of 'normalises' me, which means different things to different people but I know what it means to me.

Children