Rule 13: the last nail in NAS's coffin?

Today completes an important step for the National Autistic Society. Today with Rule 13 they complete the abdication of responsibility for supporting autistic adults reaching out for help.

You may remember in 2021 that the National Autistic Society closed its general helpline. There was a thread about it on this forum. As was pointed out at the time from that point onwards this forum became the only port of call at the National Autistic Society for help for people who did not qualify for one of the remaining helplines.

And the remaining helplines pertain to children in school, children leaving school and parents of autistic children. The National Autistic Society has become a defacto children’s charity leaving autistic adults out in the cold.

Now not content with refusing to help autistic adults they now seek to reduce autistic adults ability to help each other. I fully admit that a bunch of amateurs on an autistic support forum is a poor substitute for professional help. However the vast majority of those seeking such help now have nowhere to go professional or otherwise.

Some of you know that I also brought a lawsuit against an organisation for discrimination. I reached out to the citizens advice bureau and got no useful help. I reached out to the EASS and they said that they couldn’t help me because the other party would not engage with them. I wrote to established academics with a background in discrimination law and autism and they said they couldn’t help me.

Yes I rang that autism helpline back when it existed, back when I tried to get some justice and they said we can’t help you. But at least I spoke to someone who admitted that he was supposed to be able to help me. That helping me was what he was there for.

With regard to the law when you bring a case for discrimination most of the time legal aid is not available. This is in part because the majority of discrimination cases go through the small claims track which is intended to operate without lawyers.

Something similar applies to the health service. It’s very easy for autistic people to get sidelined in the health service particularly if they are bad at articulating their needs and concerns. Again I know this from personal experience.

At this point if autistic adults come to this forum or the loved ones of autistic adults come to this forum and say they are having difficulty with the law or discrimination or a medical issue rule 13 interpreted strictly means that we can provide no helpful advice other than pointing to sources of help that in fact do not exist.

For quite some time now I have run a website dedicated to helping autistic people defend their rights and oppose discrimination. I chose not to include a forum on that website because I was aware that policing it could involve a substantial amount of work. However this development has persuaded me to change my mind. So I’m announcing that areyoualien.uk now has a forum for autistic people. The focus of this forum like the website is advocating for autistic rights in government policy and the law and opposing discrimination. You are all very much welcome there.

Parents
  • there is a response from the MODS 6 days ago mate.

Also, I'm not wholly sure what more that could say on the matter.

My unanswered response/question below was posted after the mods posted theirs:

In the above thread, however, we have an O/P who has sought and failed to find assistance with both professional bodies and charities set up for assisting in these situations and was in a precarious state of mind.

I found this thread stressful as I did another where a person was self-harming.

If we are unable to help people who are in quite extreme situations, when the mods aren't active, this puts us in a very difficult position.

It seems to be that a balance needs to be struck.

I was just wondering if a general disclaimer could be posted by NAS regarding advice and then coupled with moderation both by yourselves and self-moderation, that might be an easier way forward for us?

The mods aren't that active on here and when there have been threads posted by vulnerable people who are self-harming or it seems they might do so, we are left with the responsibility of trying to help them.

It's no good suggesting someone rings the Samaritans when they have already said that the Samaritans can't help them.

The next time someone is posting here who is in serious need of help there and then, I for one will be much more reticent to assist.

Also, we are intelligent adults who should be able to share our wisdom, with provisos.

It would have been good if the mods on behalf of NAS would at the very least say whether a general disclaimer is an option that is being considered so that we don't every single time we try to help someone have to use one of our own.

• I can't remember if there were any "Ts&Cs" upon creating an account.  I'm pretty sure I read you had to be at least 16 and so could assume other rules had to be adhered to as well. Urgent Help states these pages are not for crises or emergencies.

There's information on the Community fAQs relating to if you feel concerns for another member and the steps the mods can take. There's only so much they can do.

e are left with the responsibility of trying to help them.

I don't feel it is technically our responsibility. It is difficult when vulnerable people come here needing help. Often, like you said, they have already accessed services and these may not help. We can offer our own informal advice but we are not responsible for anyone other than ourselves.

I think a disclaimer would be helpful.

• I can't remember if there were any "Ts&Cs" upon creating an account.  I'm pretty sure I read you had to be at least 16 and so could assume other rules had to be adhered to as well. Urgent Help states these pages are not for crises or emergencies.

There's information on the Community fAQs relating to if you feel concerns for another member and the steps the mods can take. There's only so much they can do.

e are left with the responsibility of trying to help them.

I don't feel it is technically our responsibility. It is difficult when vulnerable people come here needing help. Often, like you said, they have already accessed services and these may not help. We can offer our own informal advice but we are not responsible for anyone other than ourselves.

I think a disclaimer would be helpful.

Children
  • That phrase is attached to most of my outgoing emails. It's both an offer and a challenge...

Edit: And I for one will continue to offer whatever help and advice I have that seems relevant to the desperate when I can.

• With regard to helping those who explicitly request it... It would be like failing to help not to do so. Between helping a person in a serious crisis even during the dark and cold hours of a night with no apparent end, and not doing it because you risk make a mistake and end up subject to sanctions, I prefer to help. What does that person do if no one helps them in those difficult moments? I happened to alternate with others during a night when a person was close to suicide. He didn't thank you to the fact that he spent that night with other users who understood him. § And here you even risk BANs if you don't write in an aseptic way. § We all didn't care. Of the BAN I mean not the person and the rules wrong (I'm referring to our forum at the time)

• In my personal experience of desperation and depression there comes a point where sympathy is just meaningless and hollow. Or at least the kind of sympathy one gets at the end of the Samaritans phone line. I think there’s a line from Star Trek where a philosopher is supposed to have suggested that the most powerful phrase in the English language is not I love you but can I help you.

people spewing desperation on the Internet are often not looking for sympathy they are shouting out into the void hoping for an echo. Someone who understands and reciprocates their sense of desperation. And if you were as desperate as they were you would be desperate to solve the problem. That is why can I help you hold more empathy than I love you. I love you are just words there’s no proof behind them. And even if you mean it it doesn’t mean you understand the state a person is in, the workings of their heart their need their desperation.

can I help you, that shows a willingness to be troubled by other peoples problems. That you either understand those problems or you’re willing to take the time to understand those problems. Can I help you is 1 million times better in the eyes of someone truly desperate than I love you or I feel sorry for you.