Reasonable adjustments

Hi. 

I’m Marc. I’m not sure whether this is the correct place, sorry if it’s not. The organisation I work for has typically always done 8-4 shifts. This helps a lot with my routine. A little while ago they introduced a 8-5 for one person on a rota system with the hour given back the following day. 

We have been told there is currently a consultation to increase hours on a regular basis to either 6pm or 8pm. I am really struggling with the concept of this. It’s causing a lot of anxiety right now. Is it fair to request within reasonable adjustments to maintain my current hours? The change to my routine is causing a lot of concern. 

Parents
  • Is it fair to request within reasonable adjustments to maintain my current hours? The change to my routine is causing a lot of concern. 

First off you need to consider if the change is going to actually cause you a lot of problem (leave the fear of change to one side for now). If the variability of hours is a significant issue for you then by all means ask about it up front.

This is assuming you have a formal diagnosis and have notified the company of it of course - without it you have no leg to stand on legally.

If it is just an anxiety about change issue then I would recommend 2 possible approaches.

1 - create a timetable so you know what time you will be working on which date. There - it is set in stone and it becomes your new routine even though it is not exactly the same every day. I mean you cope with the weekend being different to a work day so you are quite capable of accommodating this.

2 - learn how to bring your anxiety under control using techniques such as mindfulness and meditation. This is probably the more practical approach as it has applications in so many other areas of your life.

This is pretty high level stuff but fire away with any questions on the details if you want.

• Thank you Iain. 

I was diagnosed in 2011. I’ve been very open about my ASD with my employer. The biggest issue I’m having is the driving. I get very anxious in the car at the best of times. The extended hours open up many variables out of my control. Routes being closed. Extra traffic etc. I’ve had issues in the past of being extremely close to a meltdown with not being able to go practiced routes. 

• It sounds time to have a discussion with manaement about these issues and ask them, in light of your disability, if you can fix your working hours. Be aware that this may cause resentment with your colleagues so you may need to explain it to rhem at some stage.

Traffic will always be a variable even in normal hours so I'm not sure it will work as an arguement. I would focus on your issues of changing wake up time, meal times etc - these are predictable and changing them can be very difficult so there is more chance they will be accepted as a justification.

In tandem with this I strongly recommend getting your anxiety treated. A good starting point are these 2 books:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

An Aspie's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety - Attwood, Tony, Evans, Craig R., Lesko, Anita (2015)
    eISBN 9781784501198

Also read up on mindfulness and practice the techniques which may give you more concious control over the anxiety.

• It sounds time to have a discussion with manaement about these issues and ask them, in light of your disability, if you can fix your working hours. Be aware that this may cause resentment with your colleagues so you may need to explain it to rhem at some stage.

Traffic will always be a variable even in normal hours so I'm not sure it will work as an arguement. I would focus on your issues of changing wake up time, meal times etc - these are predictable and changing them can be very difficult so there is more chance they will be accepted as a justification.

In tandem with this I strongly recommend getting your anxiety treated. A good starting point are these 2 books:

Asperger Syndrome and Anxiety - A Guide to Successful Stress Management - Nick Dubin (2009)
    ISBN 9781843108955

An Aspie's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety - Attwood, Tony, Evans, Craig R., Lesko, Anita (2015)
    eISBN 9781784501198

Also read up on mindfulness and practice the techniques which may give you more concious control over the anxiety.

Children
No Data