I'm Brian and so's my wife

Since I went 'public' about my ASD diagnosis I've had more than one person say to me 'We're all on the spectrum mate'. At the time I found the comment slightly offensive, as if they were saying, 'You're not the only one who's got issues, just get over it', but on reflection, perhaps they have a point. In this crazy world where the borders of 'normality' are infinitely blurred, could it be that we are all on one big spectrum, but only some of us in the 'zone' that is currently classed as a disorder? I can't help wondering if everyone did the tests and questionnaires that I did when being assessed what percentage of the population would be diagnosed. The very first test I did came as quite a shock because the questions seemed so very appropriate to how I was feeling, and it returned a result of high probability. I can't decide if that's just because I do actually have ASD or because some of those questions would apply to anyone doing the test. I'd be interested to hear people's opinion on this, especially if anyone out there has done the test and returned a negative result i.e. low probability.

Parents
  • we sure all face different challenges but they are different.... if these people claiming to be on the spectrum or all on the spectrum, if they had friends, big social circles, happy inclusive time being included in social stuff and big social circle, they get job from who they know not what they know, they can go out to nightclubs and do different things and not feel mega anxious and weird about it to the point of physically shaking, they can talk on and on without being lost for things to say... they dont understand what they are talking about, they havent had the experience this.

but i do agree we all face different issues, and their issues maybe worse.... i see alot of other people around me and i think im living in a idiocracy, so i actually pitty most people because the average normal intelligence and awareness level seems to be extremely low.. and for that i consider the norm to be pretty brain dead and disabled, so yes they do have their own problems, they probably cant even identify the problem that i see in them though but they can feel it have a effect on their lives and cause them misery. but they dont need to be of any inteligence or awareness or wisdom because they have social circles acting as a crutch, which is why they never need to use their heads, they have support, they dont stand alone, so they was never forced to think and be smart and be wise and stand on their own feet with their own mind and tackle the world by themselves and think around challenges, they had social circles to carry them, which resulted in their lack of brain development. so infact they are more mentally disabled due to that, and that may also be why autistic people are often considered smarter. we have no social crutch, we have to make our own way in life and through troubles.

• You know Caelus, we have deficits.

§
    I share your post.

I generally consider them not of a high mental level.

That is: we use different forms of intelligence and unconventional logics.

Some unclassifiable sub-intelligences.

Because up to now there have never been meta-analytical studies as basically not studyable as they skip the linearity of mathematical logical reasoning and are something else.
    §
    I have read of so many autistic people expressing hatred towards their condition.

I understand the flaws in this.

But here, I can not at all imagine myself differently from how I am.

And I don't want to be like neurotypicals.

§
    If you pay attention, the diagnostic manuals see the disorder in us autistics.

But they are written not by autistic people.

Normal is their normal.

Well, I would never want to belong to you.
  • You know Caelus, we have deficits.

§
    I share your post.

I generally consider them not of a high mental level.

That is: we use different forms of intelligence and unconventional logics.

Some unclassifiable sub-intelligences.

Because up to now there have never been meta-analytical studies as basically not studyable as they skip the linearity of mathematical logical reasoning and are something else.
    §
    I have read of so many autistic people expressing hatred towards their condition.

I understand the flaws in this.

But here, I can not at all imagine myself differently from how I am.

And I don't want to be like neurotypicals.

§
    If you pay attention, the diagnostic manuals see the disorder in us autistics.

But they are written not by autistic people.

Normal is their normal.

Well, I would never want to belong to you.
Children
No Data