I'm Brian and so's my wife

Since I went 'public' about my ASD diagnosis I've had more than one person say to me 'We're all on the spectrum mate'. At the time I found the comment slightly offensive, as if they were saying, 'You're not the only one who's got issues, just get over it', but on reflection, perhaps they have a point. In this crazy world where the borders of 'normality' are infinitely blurred, could it be that we are all on one big spectrum, but only some of us in the 'zone' that is currently classed as a disorder? I can't help wondering if everyone did the tests and questionnaires that I did when being assessed what percentage of the population would be diagnosed. The very first test I did came as quite a shock because the questions seemed so very appropriate to how I was feeling, and it returned a result of high probability. I can't decide if that's just because I do actually have ASD or because some of those questions would apply to anyone doing the test. I'd be interested to hear people's opinion on this, especially if anyone out there has done the test and returned a negative result i.e. low probability.

Parents
  • Former Member has got me thinking. If we were all autistic then the world would be more set up for us. Shops and supermarkets wouldn't play such loud music or have such bright lights, the world would be a more understanding place with a slower pace of life, collectively everyone would be able to communicate more easily, mental health services would be more effective etc... The list goes on.

• Your comment raises a question for me. I hate sudden loud noises like dogs barking, owners shouting at them, alarms going off, cars and motorbikes going by that are unsilenced, etc. and yet I am perfectly happy to put a pair of headphones on and listen to Greenday, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, AC/DC et al at a volume I wouldn't be comfortable with normally. Any logical explanation for this?

• I'm the same. As others have already said it's mainly the lack of control and unpredictability. It's an interruption that we do not have the ability to filter out like others can.

It's not always about the loudness of the noise at all. The type of noise plays a part too. For example not all dog barking is the same and some I can tolerate much more than others. Bigger dogs generate an unpleasant barking which I don't like. However that noise does not produce the same intense emotional response as hearing a small yappy dog barking. They only thing I can liken it to is the intolerable noise of fingernails scraping down a blackboard.

Maybe it's partly Misophonia.

• Thank you Relaxed

I don't think it is possible to train our sensory system to filter sounds. I find the best thing is to stay as calm as possible, by using earplugs or noise cancelling headphones to try to prevent sensory overload. Sometime intense hyper-focus can filter out some noise. However there are some short sharp sounds which will snap me out of hyper-focus in an instant, like an electric shock.

Scientific research has shown that autistic people do not habituate to sounds in the same way that non autistic people do. That's why we can happily listen to the same song on constant repeat. We get the same pleasure listening to something enjoyable for the 100th time as we do the first. In the case of unpleasant or unbearable sounds I find the amount I am able to tolerate decreases with frequent repeated exposure.

The inability to filter sounds leads to everything all at once and resultant overload. Going back to the original topic, the loud music in the store. If it was only the music it might be tolerable. Add in the people talking, children screaming, tills bleeping, the robotic voice from the self service tills, the car alarm going off in the car park and it is all too much at once Scream That's without considering all of the visual information and lights, etc.

The noise from the stopping of high speed trains is thankfully one we don't have here in the UK, as far as I know. Our trains are notoriously slow Laughing

• Your posts are pleasant, I would also say your posts because I find your writing very valid
    §
    One thing puts me in difficulty: because if we trained our sensory deficit, perhaps we would be able to filter them(?)

I ask.

§
    Argh!

You made the concept very well with your nails on the blackboard and the screeching chalk?

But also the stopping of high-speed trains.

For me it is very annoying.
  • Your posts are very interesting.

I like reading centered and proactive answers.

And most of what you write could see me agree enough to make likes enough for an answer.

§

I have a lot of acute back pain after an accident and have trouble sitting up. I mostly write on my PC.
    §
    There are indeed many of you who argue very well.
    §
    In other foreign forums users simplified, or the level was not high.

Here I finally find disambiguations and valid posts.

And it's nice (a lot)
  • Your posts are very interesting.

I like reading centered and proactive answers.

And most of what you write could see me agree enough to make likes enough for an answer.

§

I have a lot of acute back pain after an accident and have trouble sitting up. I mostly write on my PC.
    §
    There are indeed many of you who argue very well.
    §
    In other foreign forums users simplified, or the level was not high.

Here I finally find disambiguations and valid posts.

And it's nice (a lot)
Children
No Data