I'm Brian and so's my wife

Since I went 'public' about my ASD diagnosis I've had more than one person say to me 'We're all on the spectrum mate'. At the time I found the comment slightly offensive, as if they were saying, 'You're not the only one who's got issues, just get over it', but on reflection, perhaps they have a point. In this crazy world where the borders of 'normality' are infinitely blurred, could it be that we are all on one big spectrum, but only some of us in the 'zone' that is currently classed as a disorder? I can't help wondering if everyone did the tests and questionnaires that I did when being assessed what percentage of the population would be diagnosed. The very first test I did came as quite a shock because the questions seemed so very appropriate to how I was feeling, and it returned a result of high probability. I can't decide if that's just because I do actually have ASD or because some of those questions would apply to anyone doing the test. I'd be interested to hear people's opinion on this, especially if anyone out there has done the test and returned a negative result i.e. low probability.

Parents
  • Former Member has got me thinking. If we were all autistic then the world would be more set up for us. Shops and supermarkets wouldn't play such loud music or have such bright lights, the world would be a more understanding place with a slower pace of life, collectively everyone would be able to communicate more easily, mental health services would be more effective etc... The list goes on.

• Your comment raises a question for me. I hate sudden loud noises like dogs barking, owners shouting at them, alarms going off, cars and motorbikes going by that are unsilenced, etc. and yet I am perfectly happy to put a pair of headphones on and listen to Greenday, Led Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, AC/DC et al at a volume I wouldn't be comfortable with normally. Any logical explanation for this?

• The obvious ones would be that you're in control of the music and it's predictable. 

The experiment would be how you are if it's someone else's loud music and how you react to more... unconventional music (like Boredoms - Super Æ). 

• I live in a block of flats which are about 10% residential and 90% second homes. This is wonderful because most of the time I have no neighbours and the silence is truly blissful. When they do come to visit, as is the case this evening, and they start making noise that I'm not used to (not necessarily very loud) I find myself getting uptight and wanting to go and remind them that I live here permanently. Two things in play here - I'm not in control and it's unpredictable. Your point well and truly proven I think.

• I live in a block of flats which are about 10% residential and 90% second homes. This is wonderful because most of the time I have no neighbours and the silence is truly blissful. When they do come to visit, as is the case this evening, and they start making noise that I'm not used to (not necessarily very loud) I find myself getting uptight and wanting to go and remind them that I live here permanently. Two things in play here - I'm not in control and it's unpredictable. Your point well and truly proven I think.

Children
No Data