I'm Brian and so's my wife

Since I went 'public' about my ASD diagnosis I've had more than one person say to me 'We're all on the spectrum mate'. At the time I found the comment slightly offensive, as if they were saying, 'You're not the only one who's got issues, just get over it', but on reflection, perhaps they have a point. In this crazy world where the borders of 'normality' are infinitely blurred, could it be that we are all on one big spectrum, but only some of us in the 'zone' that is currently classed as a disorder? I can't help wondering if everyone did the tests and questionnaires that I did when being assessed what percentage of the population would be diagnosed. The very first test I did came as quite a shock because the questions seemed so very appropriate to how I was feeling, and it returned a result of high probability. I can't decide if that's just because I do actually have ASD or because some of those questions would apply to anyone doing the test. I'd be interested to hear people's opinion on this, especially if anyone out there has done the test and returned a negative result i.e. low probability.

Parents
  • There is a difference between someone having some autistic traits, many people do, and being diagnosed, or diagnosable, as autistic. There is obviously a continuum between diagnosed autistics and people who are not quite diagnosable. However, being a diagnosed, or diagnosable, autistic is an acknowledgement that you have specific difficulties that adversely affect you on a day-to-day and lifetime basis. That is the defining distance between being autistic and being allistic.

If anyone gives you the 'all on the spectrum' spiel, just ask them if they think that a psychiatrist or other clinician, or team of clinicians, would be likely to diagnose them as autistic. If they answer yes, tell them to see their GP about getting a diagnostic assessment, if they answer no, tell them that they therefore can have no valid opinion on the difficulties of being autistic.

• There is a difference between someone having some autistic traits, many people do, and being diagnosed, or diagnosable, as autistic. There is obviously a continuum between diagnosed autistics and people who are not quite diagnosable. However, being a diagnosed, or diagnosable, autistic is an acknowledgement that you have specific difficulties that adversely affect you on a day-to-day and lifetime basis. That is the defining distance between being autistic and being allistic.

If anyone gives you the 'all on the spectrum' spiel, just ask them if they think that a psychiatrist or other clinician, or team of clinicians, would be likely to diagnose them as autistic. If they answer yes, tell them to see their GP about getting a diagnostic assessment, if they answer no, tell them that they therefore can have no valid opinion on the difficulties of being autistic.

Children
  • A scientific researcher friend of mine wrote to me some time ago that many NTs have covert autistic tacts.

Although NT.
    §True about the difficulties you described: I agree with you.
    §
    The last five lines of your post are stunning.

Tell the truth!