Living Independently/ After we have gone.

Has anyone had any experience with setting up an autisic adult in their own flat. Ideally we are looking for self contained accommodation with someone on site Mon-Fri 9-5 to offer minimal support. My daughter is quite capable in most things but just needs minimal support. I know I am not alone in this. 

• Yes after we die. I know we need to set up a trust but this must wait until after we move. Again I would appreciate hearing of others experience with this.

• Yes, block of flats with concierge would be ideal. I was rather hoping that someone may already have moved into something like this. Surely we are not alone in looking for this. Not everyone needs 24/7 care.

• You mention in the title about "after we have gone".

Do you mean once you die?

If you are planning for this situation then I would speak to an inheritance lawyer and get advice on how to look at setting up whatever sort of property you decide on with the least tax overhead for your daughter.

The government are currently looking to make most inheritances subject to high capital gains taxation so a bit of planning may avoid this.

As the money will be going to a good cause instead of for personal gain then I don't think it unreasonable to consider this option.

Do you have someone in mind to be her guarantor? It may also be worth getting legal advice on this so there is someone who can help out if there are issues with leasehold, shared maintenance costs etc that she may need help with understanding and even paying.

• Have you looked into build-to-rent developments, often aimed at students or young professionals? I'm happy living independently in my own flat but need help arranging repairs, etc. Currently my ex helps me with that but I have thought that I could move into a development where the company that owns the building deals with all that, and there's a concierge on site to go to with problems. They're expensive but could be a good option if she's independent enough not to need personal care.

• I think it is lovely that you are thinking ahead for the wellbeing off your daughter, I am sure she would be very comforted to know her interests are being looked out for. 

I guess there are two approaches: get her set up in a flat of her own, then pay for part-time carers to help (eg. visiting multiple times a day to help with tasks) or look into assisted living facilities where she can have more around the clock assistance. It's difficult to research assisted living facilities without knowing where you are located or where she might choose to be located. 

It also depends a lot on her/your financial position. Maybe try approaching citizens advice to see if they can signpost you to services in your geographic area? She may also be eligible for some sort of benefit UC or PIP to help support her in the longer run.