What is faith?

I'm hoping, probably naively, that this won't turn into a bun fight.

So, I've not Googled the meaning of religious faith but I will just share some of my thoughts here.

There are a lot of religions in the world.  They can't all be right, can they?

Surely if what a person of faith believes is true, that particular faith must be true for everyone?

After death we can't all be shooting off to different places, can we?

I haven't read about this but a friend of mine (autistic) has a special interest in faith and reads reams of books.

He is particularly interested in Shamanism and I find that quite fascinating. 

I find ancient  and 'Tribal' religions of great interest.

I'm agnostic.

However, I'm not sure which fence I sit on as all the major religions have something to offer but some of them have caused a lot of death and suffering too over the centuries.

My husband believes that the world was created by aliens.  Is this a faith too, even if not a religious one?

People sometimes talk as though they know that their faith is true. 

However, how can it be as the word 'faith' is explicitely saying it's a belief.

It can't be proven as what happens after death can't be known. 

Also even if historical figures such as Jesus did live (and there is evidence that this is true) it's our interpretation of their signficance that is pertinent.

Hence the word 'faith'.

If you have a faith, please share why you believe if you care to.

Please also just share your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Parents
  • I grew up in a traditional Irish Catholic background in Rural Ireland where all of the older people I knew back then constantly talked about the “simple” (unquestioning) Irish Catholic faith and the “assent” of faith”, which perhaps led many of us to take our faith for granted growing up and without realising it, without thinking about it (too much?) despite being born after Vatican II in 1962, I returned to the traditional Catholic faith Pre-Vatican II (Mass and Rosary in Latin) 18 years ago despite the fact that I’d left Vatican II after I’d come out as gay, but after my experiences on the gay scene, I eventually came back to my faith - Vatican II was in total disarray as I very quickly discovered and so I returned to the faith of my grandparents generation, connecting with the history of our Irish saints - when Covid hit, all of us had to re-evaluate our relationship with our faith and I found that my faith not only deepened, but became a source of inner strength to me, despite being derided in our current times, as I began to realise that we need God in our lives more than ever - the man-made institutional structures of the Vatican II Catholic Church are known to be totally corrupt just as they were before Vatican II and people like Hitler, Napoleon and many others in history were quick to recognise this and call out such corruption and rightly so - I listen to a lot of Baptist Preachers in America and elsewhere, as well as looking at the teachings of other religions such as Islam and I find that this strengthens my Catholic faith - to me, reciting the Rosary in Latin is entering into a meditative state and also, Latin is known to be a language that is very powerful against demonic and satanic forces (just like Arabic in Islam) 

• Latin is known to be a language that is very powerful against demonic and satanic forces (just like Arabic in Islam)

Believed, not known ...

Reply Children
No Data