What is faith?

I'm hoping, probably naively, that this won't turn into a bun fight.

So, I've not Googled the meaning of religious faith but I will just share some of my thoughts here.

There are a lot of religions in the world.  They can't all be right, can they?

Surely if what a person of faith believes is true, that particular faith must be true for everyone?

After death we can't all be shooting off to different places, can we?

I haven't read about this but a friend of mine (autistic) has a special interest in faith and reads reams of books.

He is particularly interested in Shamanism and I find that quite fascinating. 

I find ancient  and 'Tribal' religions of great interest.

I'm agnostic.

However, I'm not sure which fence I sit on as all the major religions have something to offer but some of them have caused a lot of death and suffering too over the centuries.

My husband believes that the world was created by aliens.  Is this a faith too, even if not a religious one?

People sometimes talk as though they know that their faith is true. 

However, how can it be as the word 'faith' is explicitely saying it's a belief.

It can't be proven as what happens after death can't be known. 

Also even if historical figures such as Jesus did live (and there is evidence that this is true) it's our interpretation of their signficance that is pertinent.

Hence the word 'faith'.

If you have a faith, please share why you believe if you care to.

Please also just share your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Parents
  • I tend towards secular paganism myself- environmentalism, belief in gods as representations rather than individuals, and the idea that things like spells and tarot readings are about your personal outlook on your internal and external world as opposed to harnessing some kind of external power.

I am very fond of Thor and his big hammer, but I don't think he's an actual person ambling about, because I don't believe in any literal interpretation of any gods. I do think that some religious figures have existed in the past, but I don't really believe in their divinity even when I believe the same things as them ethically/morally- for example, I don't feel that I have to believe Jesus was the son of God to agree with some of his teachings.

I think this stuff probably puts me firmly in the category of 'no faith just vibes'!

• I used to look at things like tarot cards, fortune telling, etc until I realised that this is expressly forbidden in the traditional Catholic faith, as it is considered gravely sinful and very dangerous to faith and morals - in such cases, confession and penance for these mortal sins are required before a person is in a state of Grace to recieve Holy Communion 

• I used to look at things like tarot cards, fortune telling, etc until I realised that this is expressly forbidden in the traditional Catholic faith, as it is considered gravely sinful and very dangerous to faith and morals - in such cases, confession and penance for these mortal sins are required before a person is in a state of Grace to recieve Holy Communion 

Children
  • Well, I'm not Catholic and never have been, so I'm in no rush to go to confession, especially since I don't believe things like tarot reading come from anywhere except the user's own mind.

Perhaps if I'd been raised differently I would also *feel* differently, but I'd like to think that since I'm not hurting anyone else or attempting to influence them, it's probably fine. It's forbidden in your faith, and I respect that- I don't expect you to get involved in things that make you uncomfortable- but it can't be forbidden in mine since I don't really have one.