Enclosed

How does your fear, trauma, of claustrophobia trigger?

I struggle with transport, even just being in a shop, my fear of being trapped in a social situation triggers.

It's so bad that I can't even meet someone in a 1-on-1 meeting without huge amount of anxiety about not being able to leave without them point it out or finding it weird

Parents
  • The worst part is that you get Anxious KNOWING that you will get anxious.
    It is horrible.
    Viscious circle.
    The only way is to do a little bit by bit until your subconcious realises that there is no threat and the fight or flight response 
    will re-set itself. No,not easy, but you have to do it little by little. You will get there. I promide.

• Thanks. I did 10 years of commuting into London and it's just got worse as time has gone on. I now can't even make myself get on a train. Really tried to this morning but just couldn't do it. Not sure why but even a 10 min journey seems to trigger my fear response

• Not sure why but even a 10 min journey seems to trigger my fear response

It sounds like it has progressed to a phobia - have you tried treating it with the same approach as a phobia?

You can look at the info around phobias and their treatment here:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/phobias-and-irrational-fears.htm

One nice quote is:

Therapy for phobias has a great track record. Not only does it work extremely well, but you tend to see results very quickly—sometimes in as a little as one to four sessions.

Even with your autism, I think that there is a good chance for you to get over this if you want to.

• Not sure why but even a 10 min journey seems to trigger my fear response

It sounds like it has progressed to a phobia - have you tried treating it with the same approach as a phobia?

You can look at the info around phobias and their treatment here:

https://www.helpguide.org/articles/anxiety/phobias-and-irrational-fears.htm

One nice quote is:

Therapy for phobias has a great track record. Not only does it work extremely well, but you tend to see results very quickly—sometimes in as a little as one to four sessions.

Even with your autism, I think that there is a good chance for you to get over this if you want to.

Children
No Data