Experience of old people with autism/Asperger’s

Hi There, 

I am autistic and have an interest in the history of autism. I often wonder if autism has been around for hundreds of years but people never thought much of it back then. I think people back in the day would just look at us and think “oh he’s just quiet” or “oh she’s a bit shy but has a heart of gold” that kind of thing. I mean I never would have guessed I was autistic I really don’t feel disabled I just feel like a normal person who’s got a different mind. 

is there anyone here from say the 40’s 50’s or 60’s that would like to share what being an autistic child was like back then when nobody knew what autism was? It must have been difficult feeling different but not knowing why. 

Parents
  • In the 60's the only kind of autism recognised as autism was Kanner's autism, mute, lino g up cars, and so on.

Either way, it was seen as psychosis, or related to psychosis. Other presentations were also seen as essentially mental illness, regression a form of depression and so on. There were labels such as childhood schizophrenia. I now understand that by the 90's this term was luckily obselete.

It was suspected I was prepsychotic, see that by accident in my medical notes. My mother once let out I was diagnosed with an obsessive disorder, later on that she would have to explain the ways of the world to me due to my lack of innate understanding of social cues and how to behave, or that I was depressed or hysterical or maladjusted. 

Confusion reigned then and didn't really help the sense that the psychologists and doctors I was seeing were not bring honest with me about something. In my teens the hope was that I would just muddle on and muddle through, and that good breezy common sense was all that was needed. I was made to feel like a hypochondriac by my GP after he'd spent some time with me in I foal therapy in early teens. 

I don't live in the UK so it would be difficult to access medical notes if I decided to get any diagnosis. I would like to be able to lay the ghosts of it all though but I wouldn't want to find I would be blacklisted from entering other countries later on. 

• In the 60's the only kind of autism recognised as autism was Kanner's autism, mute, lino g up cars, and so on.

Either way, it was seen as psychosis, or related to psychosis. Other presentations were also seen as essentially mental illness, regression a form of depression and so on. There were labels such as childhood schizophrenia. I now understand that by the 90's this term was luckily obselete.

It was suspected I was prepsychotic, see that by accident in my medical notes. My mother once let out I was diagnosed with an obsessive disorder, later on that she would have to explain the ways of the world to me due to my lack of innate understanding of social cues and how to behave, or that I was depressed or hysterical or maladjusted. 

Confusion reigned then and didn't really help the sense that the psychologists and doctors I was seeing were not bring honest with me about something. In my teens the hope was that I would just muddle on and muddle through, and that good breezy common sense was all that was needed. I was made to feel like a hypochondriac by my GP after he'd spent some time with me in I foal therapy in early teens. 

I don't live in the UK so it would be difficult to access medical notes if I decided to get any diagnosis. I would like to be able to lay the ghosts of it all though but I wouldn't want to find I would be blacklisted from entering other countries later on. 

Children
No Data