Experience of old people with autism/Asperger’s

Hi There, 

I am autistic and have an interest in the history of autism. I often wonder if autism has been around for hundreds of years but people never thought much of it back then. I think people back in the day would just look at us and think “oh he’s just quiet” or “oh she’s a bit shy but has a heart of gold” that kind of thing. I mean I never would have guessed I was autistic I really don’t feel disabled I just feel like a normal person who’s got a different mind. 

is there anyone here from say the 40’s 50’s or 60’s that would like to share what being an autistic child was like back then when nobody knew what autism was? It must have been difficult feeling different but not knowing why. 

Parents
    1. I have just returned from visiting my mum, she is 95 today. Earlier this year i discovered that i am autistic. Since then it has dawned on me that my mum is autistic. It has been a difficult exhausting day. It has been a difficult and exhausting life. 
    2. I have always tried to protect my mums feelings  afraid of upsetting het, tried to please her in the hope that she will love me. I recently tried to figure out if she is unwell or just a horrible person. But she is a good person. I now realise she is autistic. She had 6 children. Had a stay in a mental institution in the 1960's. But she did her best under the circumstances, but oh it has been so hard on us all. Me  now 59, and exhausted from life. There has to be more awareness by the medical proffesionals, on identifying autistic traits sooner. 
    3. Im.still trying to get my head around it and make sense of it all.  
    1. I have just returned from visiting my mum, she is 95 today. Earlier this year i discovered that i am autistic. Since then it has dawned on me that my mum is autistic. It has been a difficult exhausting day. It has been a difficult and exhausting life. 
    2. I have always tried to protect my mums feelings  afraid of upsetting het, tried to please her in the hope that she will love me. I recently tried to figure out if she is unwell or just a horrible person. But she is a good person. I now realise she is autistic. She had 6 children. Had a stay in a mental institution in the 1960's. But she did her best under the circumstances, but oh it has been so hard on us all. Me  now 59, and exhausted from life. There has to be more awareness by the medical proffesionals, on identifying autistic traits sooner. 
    3. Im.still trying to get my head around it and make sense of it all.  
Children
No Data