CBT has it help you

Hi All,
My partner has asd and as you know getting a diagnosis can take bloody years. We already do loads of things to help her life work.
But I am interested if anyone has used cbt [Cognitive behavioral therapy] as a tool to help self manage there asd

I am very interested to hear from anyone that has used it on how it has helped them [if it did?]

Many thanks

Parents
  • I approached CBT with an open mind and thought it had worked but in reality it didn't help with what I needed it for most. I think it depends on the root cause of the anxiety. The CBT I had looked at worry = anxiety. So while I learned techniques to manage this, really, my anxiety was mainly autism based because of the sensory aspect. Also I sense that autistic people have a higher intolerance of uncertainty. An example being that I still feel sick in the morning before going to work.  In realiity, I have exposed myself to the same situation all my working life but it doesn't get any better because leaving the house and being around other people has a degree of uncertainty to it. My brain logically knows nothing bad will happen, but my autistic brain tells me otherwise. Some elements of CBT use exposure therapy. You also have to be able to "identify your feelings and put them on a scale" which I found incredibly difficult (alexythima). So while I can manage tangible worries better, it hasn't helped with the autistic side of anxiety. I also find it depends what sort of relationship you have with the therapist and you can be masking without knowing it (giving expected responses or not speaking up when you need to). If you can, look at Luke Beardon's book and I think you might find some stuff online by George Watts on this too. The best thing I have found to help is speaking to a neurodivergent professional (ie someone who speaks the same language) in order to recognise and accept my "differences" and amending my environment and situation.

• I approached CBT with an open mind and thought it had worked but in reality it didn't help with what I needed it for most. I think it depends on the root cause of the anxiety. The CBT I had looked at worry = anxiety. So while I learned techniques to manage this, really, my anxiety was mainly autism based because of the sensory aspect. Also I sense that autistic people have a higher intolerance of uncertainty. An example being that I still feel sick in the morning before going to work.  In realiity, I have exposed myself to the same situation all my working life but it doesn't get any better because leaving the house and being around other people has a degree of uncertainty to it. My brain logically knows nothing bad will happen, but my autistic brain tells me otherwise. Some elements of CBT use exposure therapy. You also have to be able to "identify your feelings and put them on a scale" which I found incredibly difficult (alexythima). So while I can manage tangible worries better, it hasn't helped with the autistic side of anxiety. I also find it depends what sort of relationship you have with the therapist and you can be masking without knowing it (giving expected responses or not speaking up when you need to). If you can, look at Luke Beardon's book and I think you might find some stuff online by George Watts on this too. The best thing I have found to help is speaking to a neurodivergent professional (ie someone who speaks the same language) in order to recognise and accept my "differences" and amending my environment and situation.

Children
No Data