Australia legalises psychedelics for mental health

• I wouldn’t classify MDMA as a psychedelic (although psilocybin definitely is). Psychotherapist have long been interested in using it in clinical treatment. It’s not necessarily that the drug makes anyone feel better. But people have a huge amount of difficulty opening up to a stranger to talk about their mental health issues, and one of the well-known side-effects of MDMA is it does have a tendency to make people feel like everybody around them is their friend.

so the notion is not that someone would be given MDMA and then just sat with another for the drug to have its affect. they will be given MDMA immediately prior to intensive counselling to try and help them open up and find it easier to express themselves in the counselling session.

I really don’t know much about psilocybin as an anti-depressant but I do know there’s been some really interesting research into ketamine as an effective treatment for many people who found normal antidepressants are not effective for them.

• I get your point although personally meds have helped me more than talking has.

I suppose everyone's experience is different.

• Interesting. I wonder how it will pan out.

I wish medical professionals would spend more time talking to patients who suffer from mental health rather than giving them god knows what or shoving them in hospital.

• Australia were big in supporting the Zanu-Normal. So, they're trying to appear 'Liberal'; even though they're authoritarian.