The Buckland Review (why are autistic people being excluded)

So as you know the DWP is currently undertaking a review about how to help autistic people with work. [link]

The topics to include:

• how employers identify and better support autistic staff already in their workforce;
  • what more could be done to prepare autistic people effectively for beginning or returning to a career;
  • and working practices or initiatives to reduce stigma and improve the productivity of autistic employees.

However I can see no sign that this review is actually taking evidence from autistic people. I know because I went looking for how to submit evidence. Now an autistic charity is involved but does one autistic charity have the authority to speak for all of us? This report is due in September if they were proposing to actually gather evidence from autistic people directly they would have done so by now.

Why aren't the voices of autistic people being heard directly rather than through charaties many of which may have their own axes to grind and may not represent certain viewpoints?

Parents Reply Children
  • The assumption that autistic employees need to have their productivity improved.

Well, taking it from the employers perspective, we are a troublesome bunch (lots of time off and special needs) so anything that makes it easier for us has to be a good thing.

Their own stats say "People with autism have particularly low employment rates – with fewer than three in 10 in work"

I can't see any organisation, government or employer, being interested in looking after us out the goodness of their heart. They want productive little minions and if they have to make accommodations to get that happening then they want to work out what is effective for them.

It is a step in the right direction at least, and should help spread understanding of autism as it goes if nothing else.

Let's celebrate the small wins.