Dogs

Hi, my neighbour has two annoying little dogs that don't leave her house. They yap excessively at everything and everyone. I cannot tolerate it every time i walk by. I have C-ptsd Autism and ADHD. Does anyone find barking dogs stressful ?

• Greyhounds have beautifully soft and expressive eyes.. restful, with a twist of plaintiveness, in my experience.  Lovely companions.

• Yes, I love dogs but the noisy ones drive me crazy, especially if they're high-pitched yappers.

My greyhound is fairly quiet and much more suited to my sensory needs than a lot of other dogs would have been- he can be quite vocal when he wants to be, but he doesn't bark much and the noises he does make tend to be fairly low in pitch and volume. Much easier on my poor ears to have a grumbler rather than a yapper!

• I wear earplugs when i go out now. I didn't realise how many sensory issues i had until i completed the sensory processing assessment with the ASC service.

• Yes the constant conflict between love and hate that are only separated by degrees. It's a nightmare to live in a world that seems to revolve around chaos. I wouldn't approach people unless it was a ' life or death ' situation due to my condition and past experiences that involved people threatening to take my life and beating me, i do not trust people , only the small group of friends i already have.

• No i haven't. I have very little interest in interaction with strangers especially with my past. 1 dog is more than enough for me and i can just about manage that by walking in the nature reserve with him. I appreciate your message though, so thank you.

• I can sympathize with you as our neighbours have a small dog which is not walked every day. Even when it is taken out on returning it yaps most of the time when let out, which can be for half an hour anytime between 5.00 a.m. and 11.30 p.m. It appears from seeing others with this breed they all do this. In contrast our old neighbours had a dog which only barked at things like people coming to the door. I think it also depends on the amount of control the owners have. 

I have come to the conclusion that nothing will change so try to find ways to avoid hearing it or hear it as a background noise. This is however difficult when there is a sudden bark which still makes me jump. 

• My little yorkie sends me crazy. It’s got a specific high pitch shriek when she barks and it’s like a drill going off in my brain but I also love the annoying thing. Maybe have a word with your neighbour and discuss it if they are approachable. Usually people are if you are calm and collected

• my neighbour has two annoying little dogs that don't leave her house. They yap excessively at everything and everyone

Have you considered offering to walk the dogs?

This will get the dogs familiar with you so they will stop barking when they see you, give them exercise so they are more likely to sleep and not bark during the day, will give you exercise and contact with mans best friend and give you a sense of doing something worthwhile in looking after the dogs when it appears the owner won't.

There may be reasons the owner can't take them out - who knows.

Just a thought.

• Persistently barking dogs are stressful, and I speak as a dog owner and passionate dog lover (one of my special interests). It is even more annoying when you know that with the right care and training they would bark only rarely.

• I love dogs, but excessive barking is really not nice to be around.  In your case, I can't help feel sad for your neighbours dogs.....imagine being a dog locked solely in a house with inconsiderate humans 24-7.  You have my commiserations 87393.

Number

• Find dogs barking and off a leash stressful. Some dog owners don't understand that I get nervous.

• Yes. Anything liable to make a loud noise unpredictably, makes me apprehensive, but dogs are particularly unbearable.