57 Yr old hubby

Hi I've had suspicions for a while my hubby might be on the spectrum. He is mildly dyslexic and hard of hearing. There are things he does which point towards autistic behaviour. He finds it difficult to 'get a joke' I have to explain to him when I'm being sarcastic etc, he doesn't like to be touched, he is v processy, he talks and over shares with so many people. He doesn't understand about be cautious with his words, he rarely asks questions but talks about himself, a big one yest was our neighbours where having a party in their garden and he stood looking over the fence. I was mortified. I tried to explain this wasn't normal behaviour. 

Don't get me wrong, I know I can't change him at his age but I'd just like to share my experiences and see if anyone else is in the same position and come across similar things with their partner.  Thanks 

Parents
  • Hi I am a couple of years younger than your husband and realizsed at 50 I had ASD and ADHD. I do a few of the things your husband does but mostly don't. My dad had more of those traits than me like over sharing, and lacking boundaries. 

I would say at that age he is up againt it getting a diagnosis on the NHS ( I have been waiting over 3 years!) and if he is diagnosed there will be zero support available. Basically the attitude seems to be that we got this far through life so you must be fine.

Rob

• Hi I am a couple of years younger than your husband and realizsed at 50 I had ASD and ADHD. I do a few of the things your husband does but mostly don't. My dad had more of those traits than me like over sharing, and lacking boundaries. 

I would say at that age he is up againt it getting a diagnosis on the NHS ( I have been waiting over 3 years!) and if he is diagnosed there will be zero support available. Basically the attitude seems to be that we got this far through life so you must be fine.

Rob

Children
  • Yeah I can understand how frustrating this would be. I don't think there would be any benefit from him getting a diagnosis to be honest. I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences and how they dealt with them