Sia - the diagnosis

When I woke up yesterday morning I had never heard of Sia or the film Music (Yeah ok!  I was born in the 60s and am behind the times, it would seem, lol).  Goggle tells me that Music has been a bit controversial.  I watched the film last night I see why.  No, "crushing" autistic people "with love" mid meltdown is the last thing anyone should try.  Bloomin' dangerous!  No, she didn't pick an autistic actor and yes, the character Music does only seem to be there to further the stories of the other protagonists. So, ooooh yes, I do see why.

Anyway, Sia was brought to my attention because apparently, she has just announced that she is late diagnosed autistic!  That said I see posts here a year old on the topic, so I'm a bit confused.dot.com as to how recent this really is.

Sia says she's on autism spectrum two years after Music controversy | Metro News - dated this week

With that the Metro approached the NAS for comment on being late diagnosed from some actually late diagnosed people.  Amanda and I from the Now I Know campaign obliged. Actually, I quite like the article.  They've picked three very different experiences.  And it is great to be given the chance to open public eyes, so I'm happy about that.

What it's like to be diagnosed as autistic as an adult | Metro News - today

I'm curious now though to see whether and how perceptions of Sia might have changed. And whether people think it will be helpful for the public to know her story in the same way that other public figures disclosing their diagnosis, say the lovely Chris Packham, Christine McGuiness, Melanie Sykes and Fern Brady, have done. 

I understand Sia later apologised for her approach in Music and recognises now that she is both in recovery from alcoholism and getting to know her autistic self.  As a Spiritualist, I do rather believe that the path of change and growth is open to all, and we don't have to suffer forever for their mistakes.  We've all made them, after all.

So, what are folk's feelings about the latest celebrity autism reveal, given the context?

Parents
  • Deing diagnosed Autism Spectrum isn't necessarily Autistic. She could be dyslexic or ADHD - doubtful she has the added bonus of the Autistic communication difference from what I've heard about her from those who actually know her in the film/music industry. I've worked behind the scenes in editing roles.

In the US, companies might diagnose anyone as "On the Spectrum" who doesn't fit the Extrovert 'Typical' American profile along with random DSM criteria. Australia has adopted the DSM. 

Understanding what is and isn't Autism is vital. Resources allocated to companies like ABA with malpractice who have 'success' stories for kids "on the spectrum" do more harm than good to Autistics who have added communication barriers and deal with being accused of being immoral simply for having a loss in translation. 

• Deing diagnosed Autism Spectrum isn't necessarily Autistic. She could be dyslexic or ADHD

I mean that's just technically wrong. Autistic spectrum condition is the new standard terminology for autism. If some people are referring to dyslexia or ADHD as being conditions 'on the spectrum' then they are doing so incorrectly. It's not the kind of mistake in terminology I'd expect someone with clinical training to make.

• In the US, companies might diagnose anyone as "On the Spectrum" who doesn't fit the Extrovert 'Typical' American profile along with random DSM criteria

.....so I presume this means that the US simply use the term "autism" or "on the spectrum" as a catch-all term akin to saying Neuro-diverse......and then they just contextualise that terms with specific "sprinkles" of specific elements that are fully defined within the DSM can can be applied to the individual.

Assuming that I have interpreted this correctly from Juniper, then irrespective of whether it is right or wrong to do it that way, the confusion that can be generated because of this US / Australian approach -v- our more robust definition/diagnostic levers used in the UK = confusion will reign.

• OK - I appreciate your correction of my understanding Peter.  Thank you.

• Not really the DSM five which is what is mostly used in the UK for diagnosing and coding autism was actually created in the US and is used extensively by US medical practitioners. And it’s very clear in DSM-V that autism spectrum condition and ADHD are ttwo separate conditions. a clinical professional would not refer to ADHD as on the spectrum not in a professional context, not even in the US.

• Not really the DSM five which is what is mostly used in the UK for diagnosing and coding autism was actually created in the US and is used extensively by US medical practitioners. And it’s very clear in DSM-V that autism spectrum condition and ADHD are ttwo separate conditions. a clinical professional would not refer to ADHD as on the spectrum not in a professional context, not even in the US.

Children