How was school for you?

I have noticed questions by carers about their children during lunch breaks. This got me thinking of my own experience.

I left school over 40 years ago and it is only in the last few years I realized I was autistic.

When I was at school a lot of lessons were quite formal which suited me. However when it came to lunchtime as all the schools I went to were nearby I went home for lunch. In the Junior school quite a few people went home for lunchtime which was nearly an hour and a half. Most occasions when I stayed it was for a club but I didn't like being at school for the whole day and especially the long lunch break.

I wonder if modern schools are more of a challenge for autistics.

Parents
  • The most unhappy days of my life.

Infant + junior school I was bullied and struggled because it wasn't until I was 9 that the teachers realised I was acutely short-sighted and needed glasses.

In the junior school I wore hand-me-downs and even my mother's old shoes!

I didn't pass my 11+ so went to a Secondary Modern school where I wasn't expected to take exams.

The pattern repeated itself.

It was only when the school became Comprehensive that the opportunity to study presented itself so I managed to scrape by with some 'O' and 'A' levels, in spite of having only the library to study in as I lived in a noisy council house and shared a bedroom with my sister.

Our group were the 1st pupils in the school to study for 'A' levels, ever.

I hate the 11+ and Secondary Modern concept and am so glad it ended.

The bullying never really stopped though and I still have nightmares about school.

Sorry to give such a depressing reply.

Really interesting topic.

Thank you.

• The most unhappy days of my life.

Infant + junior school I was bullied and struggled because it wasn't until I was 9 that the teachers realised I was acutely short-sighted and needed glasses.

In the junior school I wore hand-me-downs and even my mother's old shoes!

I didn't pass my 11+ so went to a Secondary Modern school where I wasn't expected to take exams.

The pattern repeated itself.

It was only when the school became Comprehensive that the opportunity to study presented itself so I managed to scrape by with some 'O' and 'A' levels, in spite of having only the library to study in as I lived in a noisy council house and shared a bedroom with my sister.

Our group were the 1st pupils in the school to study for 'A' levels, ever.

I hate the 11+ and Secondary Modern concept and am so glad it ended.

The bullying never really stopped though and I still have nightmares about school.

Sorry to give such a depressing reply.

Really interesting topic.

Thank you.

Children