Sleep the best medicine

I have come to realise that sleep is my best medicine. All my life, i was worried about becoming over tired as i related it to feeling unwell. Now i know why. Regular meltdowns. I sleep, not because i am particularly depressed but simply tired and overwhelmed. I would visit the doctor and say; im so tired. The doctor would change my antidepressant. Now i dont need to visit the doctor because i now know why i feel like this. I have to have so much rest. 

I feel like i am "giving in" now to the fact that i am autistic; accepting it, and i dont seem to push myself as much. I am wondering if this is a good thing or not. I feel that i have been swimming against the tide all my life, and now i just want to float. But i have a nigly feeling of guilt sometimes. Does anyone feel the same? X

• I get a lot of sleep. I'm on a lot of medication makes me tired, very tired, sleep all day. It is the magic cure, especially if you dream, lots of nice things. 

• I need more sleep than usual; probably due to the Pharmaceuticals I'm prescribed.

After yesterday's excursions, I slept until 11:45 am; and developed a stress headache.

• Yes. I remember going to the dentist for a normal hygiene thing that isn't the most painful thing dentists can do to us and still, I slept for the rest of the day afterwards. I think that not just processing but also sensations of any sort are just demanding and lots of sleep is required to recharge. Also, I personally think that the ability to laser-focus on something and the need to understand it so deeply to the last detail is something that I do often, not only in my interests but in everyday everything... This is also really demanding. Sleeeeeeeep, when I don't sleep well I wake up with upset stomach and willingness to cry over anything 

• Sleep could possibly be the best thing ever Laughing Lol. After a hard day knowing sleep is waiting is a real comfort for me it's one of the times where pain and anxiety can't get to me. My Mama always says when someone's ill sleep is the best medicine.

• It is something I only part understand. Like you in the past I have been to the doctors saying im exhaused. Have had tests done that found nothing physical. I suffered lots after loosing my dad during Covid, slept an awful lot then. I had a massive meltdown and I am still not the same 3 years on.  I would say that you should try and give yourself time to sleep and do things that relax you. I push myself much less now. I make sure I have one day at the weekend where I can lie in and not do much. Time, and sleep, are great healers. I have found that I go through good and bad times in my life. Things will change and I hope they will get better.

• Exactly! But particularly exhausted at the moment  i think its called shutdown? Trying to underdtand x

• Been a sleeper my whole life, never realised why to I found out about my ASD. Sleep is my escape, nobody else to deal with, no demands from the outside world, its the only time i am truely relaxed and happy. I once managed 15 hours, it was bliss.

• I completely agree. When I have been through a period of extreme stress I need to sleep way more than normal. Like 10 hours per night, for a while, sometimes more. Much better to just let yourself sleep a lot, rather than push through barely functioning half-awake. No idea if this is scientifically accurate, but I feel like my brain has to do unconscious processing of the events while I'm asleep. I think autistic people in general probably need more sleep because everyday interactions are more stressful (especially if you have to talk to people in your job).

• Sleep is the magical cure. It's ok to give yourself a slack sometimes. I know that I did that today and yes I felt guilty about it. But it's not like I have a choice, if I don't get my rest then a shutdown will force me to.