Sleep the best medicine

I have come to realise that sleep is my best medicine. All my life, i was worried about becoming over tired as i related it to feeling unwell. Now i know why. Regular meltdowns. I sleep, not because i am particularly depressed but simply tired and overwhelmed. I would visit the doctor and say; im so tired. The doctor would change my antidepressant. Now i dont need to visit the doctor because i now know why i feel like this. I have to have so much rest. 

I feel like i am "giving in" now to the fact that i am autistic; accepting it, and i dont seem to push myself as much. I am wondering if this is a good thing or not. I feel that i have been swimming against the tide all my life, and now i just want to float. But i have a nigly feeling of guilt sometimes. Does anyone feel the same? X

Parents
  • I completely agree. When I have been through a period of extreme stress I need to sleep way more than normal. Like 10 hours per night, for a while, sometimes more. Much better to just let yourself sleep a lot, rather than push through barely functioning half-awake. No idea if this is scientifically accurate, but I feel like my brain has to do unconscious processing of the events while I'm asleep. I think autistic people in general probably need more sleep because everyday interactions are more stressful (especially if you have to talk to people in your job).

• I completely agree. When I have been through a period of extreme stress I need to sleep way more than normal. Like 10 hours per night, for a while, sometimes more. Much better to just let yourself sleep a lot, rather than push through barely functioning half-awake. No idea if this is scientifically accurate, but I feel like my brain has to do unconscious processing of the events while I'm asleep. I think autistic people in general probably need more sleep because everyday interactions are more stressful (especially if you have to talk to people in your job).

Children
  • Yes. I remember going to the dentist for a normal hygiene thing that isn't the most painful thing dentists can do to us and still, I slept for the rest of the day afterwards. I think that not just processing but also sensations of any sort are just demanding and lots of sleep is required to recharge. Also, I personally think that the ability to laser-focus on something and the need to understand it so deeply to the last detail is something that I do often, not only in my interests but in everyday everything... This is also really demanding. Sleeeeeeeep, when I don't sleep well I wake up with upset stomach and willingness to cry over anything