Melanie Sykes’ autobiography

I wondered if anyone had read Melanie Sykes’ autobiography and whether you related, especially if you’re a woman with both ASD/ADHD? I had mixed feelings about it but I think she’s the first public autistic woman that seemed similar to me (as in, can ‘perform’ well socially, but crumbles behind the scenes). However, I also find celebrity culture at odds with an autistic world (hence her difficulties), but I think I would have run from the public eye as soon as possible. It must be incredibly hard if your special interest involves a lot of people. I related to her nativity and drive and her quest for the truth in things. 

I also wondered if anyone had read any other autobiographies that gave you a different perspective of autistic experiences?

Parents
  • I have not read Melanie Sykes autobiography, but here are some other autistic memoir recommendations:

1. Drama Queen 
    2. Fingers in the Sparkle Jar
    3. Stim An Autistic Anthology 
    4. Explaining Humans
    5. Untypical - just bought this book, haven’t read it yet but it is meant to be brilliant!
    6. The PDA Paradox

Another brilliant book to improve autistic wellbeing is ‘Avoiding Anxiety in Autistic Adults’ by Luke Beardon. The author is not autistic but otherwise neurodivergent.

All of these books are brilliant and highlight the diversity of our autistic community!

Hope you enjoy your autistic literature flow state/deep dive!

• I have Fingers in the Sparkle Jar in my "to read" section in my bookshelf. Some of the others I haven't got or read so I'll look them up. Thanks for the recommendations! 

• Fingers in the Sparkle Jar

It’s brilliant! I hope you enjoy it. You are very welcome for the recommendations, there is so much great autistic literature that represents the diversity of our Ausome autistic community.

Reply Children
No Data