Helping my mother

Hi everyone,

my mother has just been diagnosed with autism at the age of 62. She is really not coping with her diagnosis. She’s very emotional about it and says she doesn’t know how to deal with it and can’t put into words how I can help her. 

Does anyone have and advice on how to help her move on with her life. I feel useless at the moment. 

Parents
  • If you haven't yet, remind her that actually nothing has changed, she was always this way, there's nothing wrong with her, it's just now she has that little bit of knowledge in her arsenal to help her understand how or why she experiences some things differently to other people, she actually has more power over it now because she knows what she's dealing with.

I think the older folks have a tough time with autism acceptance and self acceptance just for the sheer amount of abelism they grew up with, it's still around now ofc, but it was so casual and all pervasive back then.
    It's something I struggled with for while when I was younger, because I was made to feel deficient and therefore devalued by ablebodied and neurotypical society. After I found out neurodiversity is a natural variation I didn't feel so "abnormal" in of myself and realised I'd been made to feel that way by the attitudes of other people in my life up until that point. If Your Mum is struggling with similar feelings  Dr Chloe Farahar's video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFWAwT1RQw may help.

• If you haven't yet, remind her that actually nothing has changed, she was always this way, there's nothing wrong with her, it's just now she has that little bit of knowledge in her arsenal to help her understand how or why she experiences some things differently to other people, she actually has more power over it now because she knows what she's dealing with.

I think the older folks have a tough time with autism acceptance and self acceptance just for the sheer amount of abelism they grew up with, it's still around now ofc, but it was so casual and all pervasive back then.
    It's something I struggled with for while when I was younger, because I was made to feel deficient and therefore devalued by ablebodied and neurotypical society. After I found out neurodiversity is a natural variation I didn't feel so "abnormal" in of myself and realised I'd been made to feel that way by the attitudes of other people in my life up until that point. If Your Mum is struggling with similar feelings  Dr Chloe Farahar's video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHFWAwT1RQw may help.

Children
No Data