Non diagnosis to diagnosis

After being diagnosed as non-autistic a few months back by the NHS. I was told in the second meeting not to seek a second diagnosis because ‘you will only get the same result’. I left the room and spent 3 solid weeks in an angry depressive state after being told it was just anxiety and ‘mental illness’ The whole thing cycled around In my head constantly.

I went for a second opinion. It was vastly different to the NHS. They literally have no idea how your autism presents. They just go off the questions and have no interest in you as a person. The questions were also from the last recognised autism assessment questions, so I’m even unsure if my original assessment is even acceptable. I will query this.

They basically sent a person away with blatant autism and adhd and just said I was mental. My assessors were a pair of clowns with no idea what they are doing and I feel as though I should do something about it.....to make sure no one has to go through what happened to me.

Anyway, rant over lol to anyone who gets a non diagnosis on the NHS. They are not infallible and will have hardly no experience with subtle or in my case, obvious autistic and adhd signs. I have some inattentive adhd and I have never even heard of it but if you get the right person they will spot it. I was expecting them to ‘get me’ at the original nhs assessment but they didn’t and this caused me immense distress. Don’t let them fob you off if you have a gut feeling something is wrong.

Parents Reply Children
  • No need to be sorry. Everything happens for a reason and despite the disappointment of not being heard or understood (the diagnosis was secondary for me) I wanted at least an answer or some clarification on my behaviour, which is extensive.

I wish you luck in your journey :)