Sensory adventures

Do you enjoy stimulating one of your senses more than other ones?. Which one and how do you do that?

I enjoy tasting things. As a child I remember tasting soil and mixing it with chocolate and biscuits ext. As an adult I'd taste almost anything, it could be leaves or round colourful things from the trees, flowers, wood or chemicals. If it's possibly dangerous or not chewable, then I'd give it at least a lick. Tasting is such an adventure for me that I really enjoy. I remember it was one of the best parts of visiting the botanical garden.

Please share with me your sensory adventures Smiley

Parents
  • I've got a bit of a weird one... I hate being touched by strangers and I hate loud noises EXCEPT when I go to heavy metal gigs.

I think that for me, it's because I'm very sensitive to touch and sound, but it's not about intensity so much as control. I can't predict what other people are doing in a shop or an office, but I can choose to go into a mosh pit (or not) and I know the music so I know what's coming next. Plus, mosh pits have (unofficial but generally understood) rules about safety and what kind of touching is okay, so I feel like it's safe to be there.

Anyway, despite normally preferring solitude and quiet, I love being compressed into a one-woman black hole while having my ears battered by crunchy guitars.

• I've got a bit of a weird one... I hate being touched by strangers and I hate loud noises EXCEPT when I go to heavy metal gigs.

I think that for me, it's because I'm very sensitive to touch and sound, but it's not about intensity so much as control. I can't predict what other people are doing in a shop or an office, but I can choose to go into a mosh pit (or not) and I know the music so I know what's coming next. Plus, mosh pits have (unofficial but generally understood) rules about safety and what kind of touching is okay, so I feel like it's safe to be there.

Anyway, despite normally preferring solitude and quiet, I love being compressed into a one-woman black hole while having my ears battered by crunchy guitars.

Children
  • This! I don't tend to do mosh pits as I'm not very tall which puts me generally in elbow range of taller guys in a pit, but I'm sensitive to loud noises unless it's a loud noise that is supposed to be there and that I'm there to enjoy. The same, sort of, with crowds. Gigs, sports events etc, I can deal with, with a bit of support, because it's intentionally that way if that makes sense. As opposed to going into a supermarket in a Saturday, which I absolutely cannot deal with.

• I can relate very well and I'm glad that someone has it similarly. I like the solitude and silence a lot but when it comes to my type of music I'd go to a night club/concert and enjoy the very loud, very very loud music and the dance. I've always thought that it's a "not autistic enough" sort of preference. I still find myself able to do that once every few months.