Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • The issue to my mind is services for aspies / high functioning autistic people look quite different to services for low functioning autistic people. It is useful to have a separate term because the services for each needs to be set up and run differently with an emphasis on different needs.

As it is the one size fits all terminology hides the fact that people with 'Aspergers' type autism are not being well served and having their needs met. It also makes the services that are set up for them harder to find.

• Low functioning needs / issues: Issues with mental capacity and issues with independent living, accessing healthcare and welfare services.

High functioning autism needs issues: Issues with social isolation, discrimination (especially in the workplace / education). exclusion from education / labour market unrelated to ability.

• Low functioning needs / issues: Issues with mental capacity and issues with independent living, accessing healthcare and welfare services.

High functioning autism needs issues: Issues with social isolation, discrimination (especially in the workplace / education). exclusion from education / labour market unrelated to ability.

But I have "HFA" but my needs are also "low funtioning" needs. Where do I turn if those support services get split in half and people doing triage only read "HFA" on a decades out of date document? That's a problem, because I'm not the only one in that boat either.
    Because if my reality isn't that I'm always or mostly "High functioning" then having "HFA" is just a meaningless wild stab in the dark made by some shrink with a clipboard and outdated notions of what autism is back when it was thought that it was caused by vaccines.
    What would you propose to remedy that issue for those who would fall through the gaps?

• Thank you for replying here. It could be the case. I have similar relationship to my plants, although I can't keep adding new ones because I can't take care of +30 plants at once. When one of them turns yellow, I simply can't move on!. Maybe it's there and I couldn't see it yet, maybe it's not there for mysterious reasons. 

• Sorry to but in, but I totally relate to what you're saying here. I wonder whether some strict routines and obsessions are even hidden from ourselves. I literally only realised the other day that I have and always have had, a book obsession. I am constantly thinking about them, reading them, buying them, organising them, would go insane if someone mistreated one of them or if I lost one etc. I treat them like they are my children! This is just normal for me, so I didn't see it. I have to park in the same spot at the supermarket an if I can't it's sheer panic. Again, this is just the norm for me so didn't see it. 

• Sorry to but in, but I totally relate to what you're saying here. I wonder whether some strict routines and obsessions are even hidden from ourselves. I literally only realised the other day that I have and always have had, a book obsession. I am constantly thinking about them, reading them, buying them, organising them, would go insane if someone mistreated one of them or if I lost one etc. I treat them like they are my children! This is just normal for me, so I didn't see it. I have to park in the same spot at the supermarket an if I can't it's sheer panic. Again, this is just the norm for me so didn't see it. 

Children
  • Thank you for replying here. It could be the case. I have similar relationship to my plants, although I can't keep adding new ones because I can't take care of +30 plants at once. When one of them turns yellow, I simply can't move on!. Maybe it's there and I couldn't see it yet, maybe it's not there for mysterious reasons.