Employers Attitude “Everyones a little autistic”

Currently I am struggling, probably going through a shutdown as people have noticed I’ve become withdrawn.

The cause of this is my employers, it has left me no choice but to look for another job. My manager changes my rota without asking which disturbs my routine, I am told I will never progress for promotion where I am due to my health issues although I haven’t asked for any workplace adjustments. I don’t get regular lunchtimes. When I confided in a senior at the company, he said “everyones a little autistic”.(I am a adult late diagnosed, whilst working for this company, HR never came to speak to me about it post diagnosis, pre diagnosis the HR Director said “autism is very common these days”).

I am told I should learn to adapt my autism to the work environment by a senior staff. By nature I am an introvert, and keep on getting told I need to be more outgoing and louder. As an employee my work is spot on they have no complaints I’m meticulous but I lack hitting the targets marginally and thats why I keep on getting threatened to be put on reviews, this induces anxiety and fear of losing my job. I work in a bright, noisy environment and have a customer facing job, I mask highly to get on with it, I am good at what I do, money is not the motivator, we are commission based with a basic salary. My motivation is the product I sell, its one of my special interests. 

Are there other autistics who have been dealing with discrimination, bullying, underestimation of intelligence or employers not caring ? 

Do you just leave and find elsewhere or challenge their ignorance and lack of training on neurodiversity?

• It’s sad there is such a lack of understanding, especially in environments where all staff are expected to be carbon copies of each other. So easy to say find another job for those who don’t understand. I truly believe there needs to be an awareness that not everyone can think the same and acceptance that just because an employee has certain needs they are not being difficult. 

I am glad you found a disability confident employer. 

• Sorry, I'm not experienced in this, but the NAS site has some guides that may be useful.
    https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/employment-adjustments-tips

• Yes in UK but I’m scared of confrontation. I am articulate verbally and can write things down but if I was asked in a face to face setting I’d become mute. My manager has experienced this personally with me and he said its very isolating because at that point he can see nothing he says is having an affect on me. 

• I was in a job as a catering assistant before my diagnosis, and got bullied for being different, even though I was good at my job. I had a very stressful home life, and put up with the bullying at work for about 2 years before I got signed off by my GP due to depression and anxiety and decided it was time to request an autism assessment.I

I was off work for 4 1/2 years and returned to work 6 months ago  in a busy, noisy catering environment, but for a disability confident employer who was aware of my autism diagnosis when I applied for the job. 

I do struggle with exhaustion now I'm working, but feel supported and can ask for reasonable adjustments if I need to.

If you do look for another job, look for a disability confident employer, although I think they all should be supportive of those with additional or different needs, it's awful when people get treated badly when they just need a bit of understanding and support to do their job.

• Hi. Are you in the UK?

We have employment law related to this sort of thing.