Housing Stress!

I'm so confused about housing RN.

I'm a 26yr old woman with a diagnosis of asd. I get ESA benefits but have no idea how to get a home and cope on my own. I don't know how I would pay rent, buy food, cope...

I'm signed off from work and have been for over 10 years. I want to work but each time I try I fall to pieces. 

My mental health issues have landed me in hospital numerous times. I've got my family but I want to be able to cope on my own and have my own place, preferably before anything happens to my parents. 

Can my GP help me with housing and coping on my own?

I read that it's the council that do housing but I've no idea what I'm doing. 

There's so much pressure on me doing this and it has to be done before anything happens to mum and dad or I'll not cope.

I've tried explaining to my parents but they say I'm worrying too much. They don't understand how important it is I do this. 

Parents
  • Hi Precious

You say you want to have your own place. It seems you are on a learning journey with all of this. Therefore just a few suggestions.

I know of Autistic people who have their own place and can buy food and pay bills. Some can do all of this but can’t cook for themselves. Some say they can’t cook but have learnt to stock up with ready meals of a healthy variety not just fast food. Some live in supported accommodation others live in accommodation but get extra support. Find out what housing associations in your area have to offer depending on your needs. Also if you can manage stuff then go for the Council or both.

You say you don’t know if you could buy food. Maybe you could have a go at shopping for food where you are now to discover. Also would there be a way to practice finances. If so have a go and find out if you can. There are different levels of such. Some Autistics can manage fine some can buy at shops but find it hard to estimate costs as a whole. It can be possible to get a small or medium level of support for some things. 

Yes work full time work can be hard form some people.  Part time work or charity work in a way that suits is just as valuable even if just a couple of hours.  Also would it be good to apply for PIP. This can help you to pay for the level of support you need.  I know of several Autistic people applying or have just got it. 

Would contacting social services be beneficial. You wonder if you could cope. How fearful is this? Sometimes going ahead with it and finding out is good then it leads to discovering that you can.  Would an option be to discuss it with your parents that you want to try but have the security of being able to return home if it does not work out. More test try with security that motivates? 

There are also group homes or semi group homes. 

Also as PetitePip has said talk to CAB.  

Wish you all of the best with your progress.

• Hi Precious

You say you want to have your own place. It seems you are on a learning journey with all of this. Therefore just a few suggestions.

I know of Autistic people who have their own place and can buy food and pay bills. Some can do all of this but can’t cook for themselves. Some say they can’t cook but have learnt to stock up with ready meals of a healthy variety not just fast food. Some live in supported accommodation others live in accommodation but get extra support. Find out what housing associations in your area have to offer depending on your needs. Also if you can manage stuff then go for the Council or both.

You say you don’t know if you could buy food. Maybe you could have a go at shopping for food where you are now to discover. Also would there be a way to practice finances. If so have a go and find out if you can. There are different levels of such. Some Autistics can manage fine some can buy at shops but find it hard to estimate costs as a whole. It can be possible to get a small or medium level of support for some things. 

Yes work full time work can be hard form some people.  Part time work or charity work in a way that suits is just as valuable even if just a couple of hours.  Also would it be good to apply for PIP. This can help you to pay for the level of support you need.  I know of several Autistic people applying or have just got it. 

Would contacting social services be beneficial. You wonder if you could cope. How fearful is this? Sometimes going ahead with it and finding out is good then it leads to discovering that you can.  Would an option be to discuss it with your parents that you want to try but have the security of being able to return home if it does not work out. More test try with security that motivates? 

There are also group homes or semi group homes. 

Also as PetitePip has said talk to CAB.  

Wish you all of the best with your progress.

Children
No Data