Cancelling plans last minute due to fear of social aspect

Hi, recently to many people in my life (my boyfriend, my two closest friends etc, work) I just keep cancelling so last minute because i just think of how exhausting it is having to be around people and mask. It will always be after i’ve talking about it and said i will for like a week, and then finally when it comes down to having to get ready and leave I just feel frozen. 

This makes me feel so bad because i keep disappointing people, just wondering what people here think about it? 

Should i start trying to go anyway or is it a better idea to avoid the situations that i know stress me out? 

Also, does anyone have any tips particularly for female masking - have you ever tried to not mask? What happened? 

Parents
  • I completely understand where you're coming from and I've done the same myself in the past.

These days I consider if the social event is something that I will enjoy or get something positive from, if the answer is yes then I will go (sometimes have to make myself) because I know I will enjoy it although I will possibly find it challenging and exhausting. I will also make sure I schedule in recovery time afterwards, sometimes that can be several days of really low activity to get back on track. If it is a social event that I know will not enjoy and the only reason I would agree to it is to people please, then the answer is no straight away. My energy is limited and a precious resource and I will only spend it on things that are good for me. That sounds selfish when I write it down but I'm done with draining myself for other people with no reward for myself. I also think it is best to be straight with someone and decline to participate rather than change my mind last minute, it also cuts out the stress of the build up to it. Just my take on it but hope it helps.

• I completely understand where you're coming from and I've done the same myself in the past.

These days I consider if the social event is something that I will enjoy or get something positive from, if the answer is yes then I will go (sometimes have to make myself) because I know I will enjoy it although I will possibly find it challenging and exhausting. I will also make sure I schedule in recovery time afterwards, sometimes that can be several days of really low activity to get back on track. If it is a social event that I know will not enjoy and the only reason I would agree to it is to people please, then the answer is no straight away. My energy is limited and a precious resource and I will only spend it on things that are good for me. That sounds selfish when I write it down but I'm done with draining myself for other people with no reward for myself. I also think it is best to be straight with someone and decline to participate rather than change my mind last minute, it also cuts out the stress of the build up to it. Just my take on it but hope it helps.

Children
No Data