What advice would you give to your younger self?

This may be more appropriate for the older members, but younger ones may find it useful and may have some advice to give.

My really big one is I wish I was less of a 'people pleaser', less compliant.

I think I have been quite easily manipulated during my life and if I hadn't been, my life would have taken a different course.

I have finally learnt to say 'no' and am trying hard to 'please myself'.

What about you?

Parents
  • It’s hard to say, because I remember getting mad if someone told me something nice or just positive about me. So if I said to my younger self “you are beautiful and special the way you are” my younger self would have probably get mad and started crying or acted out calling me a liar. I figured out long time ago, that I’m different and that I don’t have to be like others, I just wanted to be accepted. Maybe the best thing to say would be: “you will be happier in the future, you are not failure, looser or stupid. It’s not your fault. You have a condition that makes you the way you are” 

it’s a good topic I like this thread! 

• It’s hard to say, because I remember getting mad if someone told me something nice or just positive about me. So if I said to my younger self “you are beautiful and special the way you are” my younger self would have probably get mad and started crying or acted out calling me a liar. I figured out long time ago, that I’m different and that I don’t have to be like others, I just wanted to be accepted. Maybe the best thing to say would be: “you will be happier in the future, you are not failure, looser or stupid. It’s not your fault. You have a condition that makes you the way you are” 

it’s a good topic I like this thread! 

Children