Coping with others

That's the bane of my life. The negative, critical, voices in my head repeat the same old orders; I heard throughout my life.

LISTEN!

DON'T BE HEADING OUT, SON!

WAIT TILL I TELL YE!

HEED ME!

I'M TELLING YOU THE GOD'S TRUTH!

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT POVERTY IS!

It was the story of my life. I grew up with little self-esteem. So, I tried not to give a f**k, like my younger brother. But the chatter, in my brain, grows louder.

However, I have to say. Thank you Desmond, for avoiding an accident when driving to Magherafelt and back! Good Job! I'm proud of myself! That's more God's success than mine! And I praise, and thank, Him!

Check out the Book 'Build yourself up, without limits' by Andrew Deutsch! 

Parents
  • I had that a lot.  I still do, but it's much less now.  The following 3 things helped me improve.  One, was therapy with a psychologist that had expertise in complex PTSD.  The process was hard and painful.  It involved extensive journaling and processing trauma.  However, it was ultimately so worth it.  Two, there's a book called "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents" by Lindsay C. Gibson that can help with validation, insight, and advice.  Three, was writing things out.  It was like journaling, but without the prompts of the therapeutic program I completed.  I wrote letters to my parents, theories on life and spirituality.  This helped me make sense of the chaos that was going on in my mind because I would otherwise jump from one thought train to another without reaching comprehensive and congruent conclusions.  Maybe these would be helpful for you too.

During therapy, there was a major moment that stuck out.  I was explaining my negative thoughts about myself to my therapist.  She asked me where I got those from.  I said that at first mostly my father, and then other people later on would say similar things.  She had me explain who my father was, which was a pretty abusive person.  Once I did that, she said, "Okay, everything your father has ever told you was a lie."  That was so insightful and liberating, that I have never forgotten it.  I can be whatever I am, and no one else will ever define me again.

• I had that a lot.  I still do, but it's much less now.  The following 3 things helped me improve.  One, was therapy with a psychologist that had expertise in complex PTSD.  The process was hard and painful.  It involved extensive journaling and processing trauma.  However, it was ultimately so worth it.  Two, there's a book called "Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents" by Lindsay C. Gibson that can help with validation, insight, and advice.  Three, was writing things out.  It was like journaling, but without the prompts of the therapeutic program I completed.  I wrote letters to my parents, theories on life and spirituality.  This helped me make sense of the chaos that was going on in my mind because I would otherwise jump from one thought train to another without reaching comprehensive and congruent conclusions.  Maybe these would be helpful for you too.

During therapy, there was a major moment that stuck out.  I was explaining my negative thoughts about myself to my therapist.  She asked me where I got those from.  I said that at first mostly my father, and then other people later on would say similar things.  She had me explain who my father was, which was a pretty abusive person.  Once I did that, she said, "Okay, everything your father has ever told you was a lie."  That was so insightful and liberating, that I have never forgotten it.  I can be whatever I am, and no one else will ever define me again.

Children
No Data