Habits

Unfortunately, I'm having to re-type this as yesterday's one went into the spam filter and hasn't been retrieved Weary

So, do you have habits and are you able to differentiate your habits from stims?

For me, my diagnosis has put my habits into a new stimmy light.

Also, although not diagnosed with OCD, I know I have it and have always had it, so again, how do you differentiate habits from OCD.

I will for example do the same thing more than once and re-arrange things so they are properly aligned.

I also having controlling thought related OCD.

Here are some:

As a child I would eat everything in my hand including my toys, pencils, pens etc

I ate the whole trunk of a knitted elephant.

Biting my nails and skin, until they bleed.  My mum made me wear gloves in the house to try to stop this but I just ate the ends of the glove fingers.

I used to twiddle with and eat my hair when it was long.

Twiddling my toes.

Scratching, picking my scalp.

Rubbing my fingers together.

Blinking.

Biting my lip.

Grinding my teeth.

Making strange sounds + humming little tunes (I once got asked to stop by a work colleague because I was unconsciously humming the Funeral March).

I know I wrote more yesterday but can't remember them all at the moment.

Most of mine are lifelong.

With regard to habitual behaviour, I find this interesting:

'Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny'

Parents
  • I have never bitten my nails, as the feeling of any unevenness at the end of my nails catching on fabric is too triggering of my sensory problems to be endured. I do, however, pick at and bite the skin at the sides of my nails, until they often bleed. I too grind my teeth, I have worn through several dental crowns doing it. I have another habit/stim that I acquired after growing a beard. I repeatedly draw my fingertips through my beard in the direction of the hair growth, a sort of combing action.

• I have never bitten my nails, as the feeling of any unevenness at the end of my nails catching on fabric is too triggering of my sensory problems to be endured. I do, however, pick at and bite the skin at the sides of my nails, until they often bleed. I too grind my teeth, I have worn through several dental crowns doing it. I have another habit/stim that I acquired after growing a beard. I repeatedly draw my fingertips through my beard in the direction of the hair growth, a sort of combing action.

Children
No Data