Positive Sides of Autism - Your Thoughts

Hi All!

I'm genuinely curious to hear what you think is the positive side of your diagnoses of Autism (or ADHD; or Autism and ADHD together). There's a lot of difficulties online but I'm also really fascinated by how differently we can see the world and the benefits of that. 

Here's a couple of examples from me!

I don't get socially awkward very easily when there is clear justification for my actions. As an example, if my partner and I go out to eat and they receive food that they didn't order or doesn't match up to what they ordered (it could be they ordered crispy pizza with pepper and the dough isn't crispy and there are onions instead) they would feel awkward about bringing it to the attention of the server whereas I feel very, very comfortable with doing this (politely of course). The chef has broken the rules, this is not what we paid for and ordered, therefore they should rectify it and we have nothing to be worried about - therefore I don't worry. This also spreads to other social situations too. 

I'm also very, very good at making quick connections between things and solving problems. I intuitively seem to find the relationship between things or find answers for problems. As a silly example, we needed to buy a new frying pan online that was the same size as our old one. However, we couldn't find our ruler or tape measure to check the actual measurements. But, I did have a lined A4 notebook. I looked up the standard sizes for the line spacings of the notebook and used the lines to the measure the frying pan which then gave me a very close approximation of the size. This took me mere seconds to come up with. 

Please let me know yours! Slight smile

Parents
  • There are no positives. It's a complete nightmare.

• Nope - that's just too bleak !

There are always positives to be found no matter how bleak a situation is.......or if you are feeling as nihilistic as I do sometimes.....it's always safe to say that "it could be worse!"

Keep going Soul, you're worth it.  We are all here for each other when it's tough.

• But there isn't any positives to it, at all. I don't get this positive thinking attitude over something a cruel infliction.

• Hi Soul Devoid, thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think it's a brave thing say how you are feeling in the face of other opinions - I know too well that I struggle with that. 

I'm really sorry to hear that you are having a really difficult time with your situation. How you're feeling is completely valid and I don't know enough about your situation or your life to say that there is something positive in it for you right now. However, that doesn't mean that something positive won't present itself later on. If I had known about my Autism years ago when I was really struggling I would have had very similar thoughts to you are now. Things have changed for me over recent years and the positives are starting to show. This could be something that happens for you too. Regardless of whether that happens for you, I hope you find support in this community and know that we are here for you. 

• None for you perhaps, but looking at this thread it is obvious that other people are convinced that they exist.

• I hear you.  I will desist.

• I am a realist. There a none.

• Well I can answer that for you.  I've been on this planet for more than half a century, and within that time here, I have seen good people struck down and afflicted by some truly dark and terminal difficulties.  Motor Neuron Disease, Strokes, Dementia, Terrible bodily mutilations, cancer and cruel, cruel deaths.

Somehow, even in the darkest moments, people living these challenges find positives to keep some light in their worlds and some hope and serenity in their hearts.

I can completely understand and identify with your sense of hopeless darkness........but I'm just saying that there are ALWAYS positives if you choose to look for them rather than just being sad about something inescapable.

Just to be clear mate....I am most certainly NOT known for a joyous, happy and sunny disposition....I ain't one of those endlessly happy and positive people - FAR, FAR from that !

I just try to keep feelings and thoughts in the right context...and I'm grateful when other people help me do that when I need it.

If you want to start feeling better, start looking for those positives.....you will find some!

Honest and genuine best wishes.

Number

• Well I can answer that for you.  I've been on this planet for more than half a century, and within that time here, I have seen good people struck down and afflicted by some truly dark and terminal difficulties.  Motor Neuron Disease, Strokes, Dementia, Terrible bodily mutilations, cancer and cruel, cruel deaths.

Somehow, even in the darkest moments, people living these challenges find positives to keep some light in their worlds and some hope and serenity in their hearts.

I can completely understand and identify with your sense of hopeless darkness........but I'm just saying that there are ALWAYS positives if you choose to look for them rather than just being sad about something inescapable.

Just to be clear mate....I am most certainly NOT known for a joyous, happy and sunny disposition....I ain't one of those endlessly happy and positive people - FAR, FAR from that !

I just try to keep feelings and thoughts in the right context...and I'm grateful when other people help me do that when I need it.

If you want to start feeling better, start looking for those positives.....you will find some!

Honest and genuine best wishes.

Number

Children