Communication tips with autism

One communicates badly...

So naturally, we look the the search engine of choice and the top result looks promising:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/communication/tips

Why is the NAS's guidelines geared up for neurotypicals and (irony of ironies)  and not for the neurologically diverse?

It feels like your being talked about when you're in the room.*  Do they not want to help us or anything? 

* Like the proverbial elephant.

Parents
  • I know what you mean but I guess it's written like that for NTs who want to know how best to communicate with us. Communication tips FOR us would be a different list I guess, consisting of things like write down the main points of what you need to say.

I see the difference in communication styles like learning a different language.  NTs need to learn how to communicate with us and we need to learn how to communicate with them. Under stress it needs a translator in the middle 'cos it's too hard for either party to achieve.

• I know what you mean but I guess it's written like that for NTs who want to know how best to communicate with us. Communication tips FOR us would be a different list I guess, consisting of things like write down the main points of what you need to say.

I see the difference in communication styles like learning a different language.  NTs need to learn how to communicate with us and we need to learn how to communicate with them. Under stress it needs a translator in the middle 'cos it's too hard for either party to achieve.

Children
No Data