How do you make friends with someone that’s famous?

From what I’ve read about her on Wikipedia, Greta Thunberg seems like a very nice person and just the sort of person I’d get on well with. And she’s got Asperger’s syndrome, so that would make it more likely that we can relate to each other well.

I’ve sent her an e-mail at least 3 times, and tried to get in touch with her on Facebook, and she’s not replied. How do I find out for sure that she’s actually read my e-mail, and it’s not just been not passed on to her by her media people or something?

And if it’s not too late to ask now, what should I say in an e-mail to her to make my e-mail stand out from all these other e-mails that she might be getting, so she takes mine seriously and does actually want to write back?

Parents
  • Hi Mark, I certainly want to be more sympathetic than some of the replies on here. I think fixating on a famous person and feeling like your life would be better if you could just be their friend is something some of us autistic people go through. I certainly did when I was younger, although mine were more tennis players and sportspeople than political figures. 
    You're not a stalker or creepy, please don't think that.

What I would say is 2 things. Firstly its impossible to really know someone from their Wikepedia page or their online profile. The real Greta Thunberg might be nothing like you imagine her to be, she may not even be a nice person I don't know. You may not get on how you imagine

Secondly, I think longing for famous friends is something we do when there is a void in our lives that we are trying to fill, perhaps one we are not even aware of. Maybe try to make some online friends on here or on other forums. If you feel able to, maybe see if there are any autism groups in your local area or groups that share one of your interests. That might be an easier way of making friends than the million to one shot of befriending someone famous

Happy to talk if you need

• I have a harmless version of this feeling. It’s when I realise that there is an inherent and inevitable trade-off in the people who bring us solace and comfort. There are real-life people we like who nonetheless reserve the right to decline contact outside of set communal contexts if any, cease contact entirely, or reduce/alter contact. Even sudden ghosting by a one time friend, though extremely painful, must ultimately be met with radical acceptance. It’s the only sane and healthy thing to do - suffer the pain of loss, of missing them, but nonetheless accept their decision and find a way to carry on. They are entitled to it, and you have a responsibility to behave appropriately to yourself, them, and good ethical values.

The other end of the scale is those people who are 100% guaranteed friends for life. Who, no matter how you behave, how badly you mess up in life, will never desert you, and will always give you comfort and a lifeline in a crisis. I’m talking of course about FICTIONAL characters. They’ve always been there for us, they are reliable and kind and witty and funny. And fight for us and against the forces of sadness and loneliness and corruption. And give us hope and the strength to venture out the door (or choose, guiltlessly, indoors and self care when it’s needed) even in one’s darkest times. But… it’s only because they don’t truly know us. We can only hope that if they did, they’d like us and stay in touch. Because we love them so much. It’s strange to have that moment of realisation that someone like the Doctor or any of their companions  (or any real life but impossibly unreachable except by message in a bottle person - to the point they might as well be fictional- person, like Greta in Mark’s case) will never actually know us, or of us, or all the hours we’ve spent ‘with’ them admiring from so close and yet so far. But while that revelation could be dispiriting, look at the rewards: someone who will never let you down, can still touch your individual heart profoundly, and who if she did get to hear of you via some  chain of coincidences would deeply appreciate your desire to express what she means to you. The closest to that we can have (most of us)  is the rather lovely compromise of ‘fan love’ - unconditional, endlessly giving, creative, kind, generous. And sometimes , just sometimes, there’ll be a right and appropriate place for a moment of grace with that person - an autograph, a photo with your hero, a kind word or several exchanged. A moment for  them to embody purely this moving sentiment and revelation: ‘I know what I have meant to you, I’m so glad I’ve given you that, I hope I always do. But this is the reality of what I can be to you as just plain old ‘me’: someone who looks you in the eye, sees the unconditional fan love in the individual, sees the glimpsed YOU-ness of you, knows that you wish you could express everything that I and then character I played have meant to you, understands that you will instead stammer awkwardly through a request to have a book or photo signed, that you will freeze in that moment, overcome by the enormity of its eclipse-like transience,  that you will feel shaken and off balance and strangely empty afterwards (but only fir a while, I promise), that you will look back on this moment like it was a dream. Knowing that any trace of your face, voice, name have faded from my mind with the sunset. List in the crowd. But valued beyond words nonetheless. And your resumes distance is crucial, appreciated, healthy, … and inevitable.’ 

Im sorry, Mark, it’s hard I know, but please find joy in your unconditional appreciation because selfless love, fan love, of those who inspire us is about as pure and redeeming of our souls as anything in this life ever will be. 

• I have a harmless version of this feeling. It’s when I realise that there is an inherent and inevitable trade-off in the people who bring us solace and comfort. There are real-life people we like who nonetheless reserve the right to decline contact outside of set communal contexts if any, cease contact entirely, or reduce/alter contact. Even sudden ghosting by a one time friend, though extremely painful, must ultimately be met with radical acceptance. It’s the only sane and healthy thing to do - suffer the pain of loss, of missing them, but nonetheless accept their decision and find a way to carry on. They are entitled to it, and you have a responsibility to behave appropriately to yourself, them, and good ethical values.

The other end of the scale is those people who are 100% guaranteed friends for life. Who, no matter how you behave, how badly you mess up in life, will never desert you, and will always give you comfort and a lifeline in a crisis. I’m talking of course about FICTIONAL characters. They’ve always been there for us, they are reliable and kind and witty and funny. And fight for us and against the forces of sadness and loneliness and corruption. And give us hope and the strength to venture out the door (or choose, guiltlessly, indoors and self care when it’s needed) even in one’s darkest times. But… it’s only because they don’t truly know us. We can only hope that if they did, they’d like us and stay in touch. Because we love them so much. It’s strange to have that moment of realisation that someone like the Doctor or any of their companions  (or any real life but impossibly unreachable except by message in a bottle person - to the point they might as well be fictional- person, like Greta in Mark’s case) will never actually know us, or of us, or all the hours we’ve spent ‘with’ them admiring from so close and yet so far. But while that revelation could be dispiriting, look at the rewards: someone who will never let you down, can still touch your individual heart profoundly, and who if she did get to hear of you via some  chain of coincidences would deeply appreciate your desire to express what she means to you. The closest to that we can have (most of us)  is the rather lovely compromise of ‘fan love’ - unconditional, endlessly giving, creative, kind, generous. And sometimes , just sometimes, there’ll be a right and appropriate place for a moment of grace with that person - an autograph, a photo with your hero, a kind word or several exchanged. A moment for  them to embody purely this moving sentiment and revelation: ‘I know what I have meant to you, I’m so glad I’ve given you that, I hope I always do. But this is the reality of what I can be to you as just plain old ‘me’: someone who looks you in the eye, sees the unconditional fan love in the individual, sees the glimpsed YOU-ness of you, knows that you wish you could express everything that I and then character I played have meant to you, understands that you will instead stammer awkwardly through a request to have a book or photo signed, that you will freeze in that moment, overcome by the enormity of its eclipse-like transience,  that you will feel shaken and off balance and strangely empty afterwards (but only fir a while, I promise), that you will look back on this moment like it was a dream. Knowing that any trace of your face, voice, name have faded from my mind with the sunset. List in the crowd. But valued beyond words nonetheless. And your resumes distance is crucial, appreciated, healthy, … and inevitable.’ 

Im sorry, Mark, it’s hard I know, but please find joy in your unconditional appreciation because selfless love, fan love, of those who inspire us is about as pure and redeeming of our souls as anything in this life ever will be. 

Children
No Data