How do y'all feel about use of the word "aut*st"?

How do y'all feel about an autistic person identifying as an "aut*st" or calling their autistic friends they have close relationships with the same word? My autistic friend prefers it because he says it is "taking the word back", but only autistic people can use it. He likens it to the n-word or h*llbilly.

Personally, I agree with him. In fact, I designed a shirt that says "All my friends are aut*sts" (but actually spelled out without the astrix). It's from a running personal joke where I was completely unaware I was autistic and just thought I liked autistic people, which is why I would say, "All my friends are autistic." Using the word "aut*sts" in the shirt would be an indirect way of disclosing my autism flavor since only autistic people can use it. Would this shirt be offensive?

Parents
  • Different people have different opinions about that. It's important to pay attention to how the person uses it and copy their way. Like for example some people emphasise on saying person first, like to say a person on the spectrum and not an autistic person. Just pay attention to how each one likes to call it and say it the same way.

• Different people have different opinions about that. It's important to pay attention to how the person uses it and copy their way. Like for example some people emphasise on saying person first, like to say a person on the spectrum and not an autistic person. Just pay attention to how each one likes to call it and say it the same way.

Children
No Data