ASD Books

Has anyone read these books to make a comment about them, or perhaps can make a recommendation of their own?:

1. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder; Second Edition by Valerie L. Gaus
2. The Happiness Trap; How to Stop Struggling and Start Living by Russ Harris
3. Older Autistic Adults in Their Own Words; The Lost Generation by Eric Endlich, Robert Lagos, and Wilma Wake
4. Unmasking Autism by Devon Price
5. The NIne Degrees of Autism by Philip Wylie
6. Living Well on the Spectrum by Valerie Gaus
  • While many or most people in my shoes would work with the books nonetheless, I cannot; I simply need to know if I'm wasting my time and, most importantly, mental efforts.

What you describe does seem like a specific subgroup within what is already a minority of society (ie autistic people) and finding books specifically written for this is likely to be highly unlikely.

A way forward is to look on this as you gathering the information to create your own book of references so you can draw your own conclusions.

If you can approach it thus, you may find yourself able to read the books that are not specific enough for the purpose, but which you can distill to form your own database.

I found that by turning autism into one of my "special interests" that I could have a lot of mental energy available to look into it.

Good luck in your search.

• My existence consists of a formidable perfect-storm combination of adverse childhood experience trauma, autism spectrum disorder and high sensitivity, the ACE trauma in large part being due to my ASD and high sensitivity.

Thus, it would be very helpful to people like me to have books written about such or similar conditions involving a coexistence of ACE trauma and/or ASD and/or high sensitivity, the latter which seems to have a couple characteristics similar to ASD traits.

The Autistic Brain, for example, fails to even once mention the real potential for additional challenges created by a reader’s ASD coexisting with thus exacerbated by high sensitivity and/or ACE trauma.

I also read a book on adverse childhood experience trauma, titled Childhood Disrupted, that fails to mention high sensitivity and/or autism spectrum disorder. That was followed by The Highly Sensitive Man, with no mention of autism spectrum disorder or adverse childhood experience trauma.

I therefore don't know whether my additional, coexisting conditions will render the information and/or assigned exercises from such not-cheap books useless, or close to it, in my efforts to live much less miserably.

While many or most people in my shoes would work with the books nonetheless, I cannot; I simply need to know if I'm wasting my time and, most importantly, mental efforts.

It’s no secret that ACE abuse thus trauma is often inflicted upon ASD and/or highly sensitive children and teens by their normal or ‘neurotypical’ peers — thus resulting in immense and even debilitating self-hatred and shame — so why not at least acknowledge it in some meaningful, constructive way?

• Very interesting post. I am wondering what book to read next!.

• I found Luke Beardon's 2 books on adult autism useful.