Gastro-intestinal Issues (autism)

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who is autistic and he has had gastro-intestinal issues his whole life, or as far back as he can remember anyway and he is awaiting a colonoscopy. I am also autistic and have had my own issues with this too. I have been reading different studies and scientific research online and have found that there may be a link between autism and bowel problems. I know from personal experience that all the autistic people I have encountered in my life have had a lot of bowel and tummy problems from a young age. I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience or have managed to resolve these issues in your self and what tips you may have to ease this? Hopefully more research is done on autism's connection to gastro-intestinal problems instead of research money going towards trying to invent cures using old drugs like Suramin for example.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Parents
  • I have bowel problems. I get nervous stomach when say someone visits my home and usually have to go to the toilet before they arrive so it's like anxiety related

Intermittent fasting helps and sticking to the same foods more or less 

• Yes I heard autistic people tend to prefer more ‘beige’ foods, that is definerpy true for me too. I love burgers, chips, potatoes, meat, bread, rolls. But I find it hard to eat sweet things like fruit and veg. 

• My mouth really enjoyed the few years I spent eating loads of salads, fruits, new foods, etc. My bowel definitely did not. People kept telling me it would adjust. It didn't.

Having a varied diet simply isn't as important to me as being able to go outside every day. That's why I eat beige.

• My mouth really enjoyed the few years I spent eating loads of salads, fruits, new foods, etc. My bowel definitely did not. People kept telling me it would adjust. It didn't.

Having a varied diet simply isn't as important to me as being able to go outside every day. That's why I eat beige.

Children
No Data