Gastro-intestinal Issues (autism)

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who is autistic and he has had gastro-intestinal issues his whole life, or as far back as he can remember anyway and he is awaiting a colonoscopy. I am also autistic and have had my own issues with this too. I have been reading different studies and scientific research online and have found that there may be a link between autism and bowel problems. I know from personal experience that all the autistic people I have encountered in my life have had a lot of bowel and tummy problems from a young age. I wonder if any of you have had a similar experience or have managed to resolve these issues in your self and what tips you may have to ease this? Hopefully more research is done on autism's connection to gastro-intestinal problems instead of research money going towards trying to invent cures using old drugs like Suramin for example.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Parents
  • Autism and gastrointestinal conditions are very common, there is a link, many people suffer in one way or another, myself included. IBS is one of those common ailments we autistics have to put up with, as is Crohns Disease and many, many more. I have IBS and am undergoing tests to find something else. Oh joy. I've found sticking to a good diet helps, like bland foods, no fizzy drinks, it doesn't cure my issues but it does help. Good sleep helps as well - lack of sleep worsens gastrointestinal problems. 

• Autism and gastrointestinal conditions are very common, there is a link, many people suffer in one way or another, myself included. IBS is one of those common ailments we autistics have to put up with, as is Crohns Disease and many, many more. I have IBS and am undergoing tests to find something else. Oh joy. I've found sticking to a good diet helps, like bland foods, no fizzy drinks, it doesn't cure my issues but it does help. Good sleep helps as well - lack of sleep worsens gastrointestinal problems. 

Children
  • My Dad (self-diagnosed autist) has IBS and insomnia. I find my guts are very off if I don't get my 8 hours, so I reckon the two are linked, but he can't cure the insomnia to see if it helped the IBS. And sometimes it is the IBS that keeps him up late and wakes him up early!

He is careful of his diet, and takes pills to block him up as his shows as a too rapid gut transit. He has also found Symprove helps, which is a good bacteria drink he has to have first thing before any food or water so it can pass safely through the stomach without being killed by the acid there.

• Yeh I heard IBD is more common in autistic people than non-autistic people. Who knows why? Maybe autistic people have worse diets or something I’m not really sure though. But then again IBD isn’t caused by diet.