What brings you joy and/or contentment?

For me it's various things, some of which are (in no particular order):

Quietude in myself, quiet in my surroundings

Being alone or being with people I care about (preferably one at a time)

Being with animals and insects, especially studying how they spend their days

Being at home, in my bedroom, reading a novel

Being in nature away from the noise made by people

Watching a bird flying high in the sky, especially a raptor

Looking at the moon

Being creative

Parents
  • Thank you everyone for your replies which I've found really interesting.

Contentedness means we are not constantly striving for happiness but appreciating what we already have. It's interesting how no one has said buying stuff or watching the news or using social media makes them happy or content.

Yes and also, I'd be really curious to know how this would be responded to by a forum of allistic people.

I think that the responses would differ greatly.

• Yes and also, I'd be really curious to know how this would be responded to by a forum of allistic people.

I think it'd be the same. 

• Interesting you think that ... I think it would differ quite a lot ...

• So this is what I was trying to get at...I don't think we can say autistic and allistic answers would differ as it's more personal preference. I do think there's a difference between something which "brings joy" and "enjoying something" or maybe I'm being too pedantic.

May I ask what it is you enjoy about them? Actually, I might enjoy a shopping mall if it's very quiet and I'm on a leisurely day out. But it's not something which would bring forth joy like nature would. Sometimes it's all about context!

• I agree with nearly all of that.  Apart from the paragraph where you asked if anyone would enjoy being in a shopping mall. The answer is that some people would.  And i'm one of them. And i'm as Autistic as they come.  Life is complex, what can we say?  Autism is yet another complex part of life.

• I think it's a matter of individual preference. I do like being around people on my terms although not necessarily taking part in interactions as such. (Eg at a gig...there's something akin to a religious experience with the togetherness of everyone present for the same reason and singing along). I do agree especially for me, that quiet past times are important however I know allistic people this would apply to too. And i understand it's common for autistic people to be very moved by nature and see the detail others don't. 

LOL would anyone actually enjoy a busy shopping mall and the answer I have seen this weekend is YES although I don't think it'd bring contentedness for anyone.  

I feel contendeness is a lot to do with being comfortable on your own in the world (ie not looking outwards to others for anything but finding it within). 

• I think it's a matter of individual preference. I do like being around people on my terms although not necessarily taking part in interactions as such. (Eg at a gig...there's something akin to a religious experience with the togetherness of everyone present for the same reason and singing along). I do agree especially for me, that quiet past times are important however I know allistic people this would apply to too. And i understand it's common for autistic people to be very moved by nature and see the detail others don't. 

LOL would anyone actually enjoy a busy shopping mall and the answer I have seen this weekend is YES although I don't think it'd bring contentedness for anyone.  

I feel contendeness is a lot to do with being comfortable on your own in the world (ie not looking outwards to others for anything but finding it within). 

Children
  • So this is what I was trying to get at...I don't think we can say autistic and allistic answers would differ as it's more personal preference. I do think there's a difference between something which "brings joy" and "enjoying something" or maybe I'm being too pedantic.

May I ask what it is you enjoy about them? Actually, I might enjoy a shopping mall if it's very quiet and I'm on a leisurely day out. But it's not something which would bring forth joy like nature would. Sometimes it's all about context!

• I agree with nearly all of that.  Apart from the paragraph where you asked if anyone would enjoy being in a shopping mall. The answer is that some people would.  And i'm one of them. And i'm as Autistic as they come.  Life is complex, what can we say?  Autism is yet another complex part of life.