Class

I was brought up to believe that we are divided socially into classes:

1.  Working class.

2.  Middle class.

3.  Aristocracy.

I also read decades ago that classes were less relevant and were disappearing.

I'm curious as to what others think so here are some questions:

1.  What class were you born into?

2.  What class are you now?

3.  Do you believe in 1 and 2?

4.  ie Do you think class exists?

5.  Do you think you can move class?

Also, without Googlerating, I'd be curious as to how these classes are defined.

I've tended to think of them as not only to do with our financial situation, but also to do with tastes, interests and education.

With regard to me, I was born working class and ?probably? still am.

Parents
  • The question is, is there really a middle class any more?

I think there's a lot to be said for the idea that that most people now are in relatively vulnerable positions, and mostly have to sing for their supper. There isn't the security of a job for life etc now. Teachers tend to be lackeys. Junior doctors are low paid. Even lawyers now have to juggle a lot just to survive. That's what I heard of some e I visited in Italy not so long ago. Her mother was ill, she spent a fortune on care, if the temp work didn't keep coming in, she would have to sell her mother's house. There weren't the month-long holidays in August enjoyed by Italian middle class when I went out to stay with a lawyer's family to teach their kid a little

The other 1% are very I'm all right Jack.

What I don't understand is how easy it is to bamboozle so many people. Most working class people take on board everything the papers say, and keep on voting for the very party that is destroying the NHS, and eroding human rights here, there, everywhere.

My mother was a nurse. My father's father worked for a department store, but my father was bright and got a degree in economics, started off as a buyer, then became a lecturer in economics.

• I think that Britons can be very naive and trusting.  Also it is no longer fashionable to be even interested in current affairs. There's a thousand distractions in this modern world.

• Well in that case they are paying a heavy price for that naivete. I have to say, sometimes, in some cases, this lack of awareness about political realities looks more like wilful ignorance than anything else though. 

• Add me as a friend if you like Nexus. We can continue our discussion.

• Are you referring to my original post on this thread? I don't think my response was irrelevant. 

Reply Children