Class

I was brought up to believe that we are divided socially into classes:

1.  Working class.

2.  Middle class.

3.  Aristocracy.

I also read decades ago that classes were less relevant and were disappearing.

I'm curious as to what others think so here are some questions:

1.  What class were you born into?

2.  What class are you now?

3.  Do you believe in 1 and 2?

4.  ie Do you think class exists?

5.  Do you think you can move class?

Also, without Googlerating, I'd be curious as to how these classes are defined.

I've tended to think of them as not only to do with our financial situation, but also to do with tastes, interests and education.

With regard to me, I was born working class and ?probably? still am.

Parents
  • I am most deffinetly working class, as were my parents. Grew up on a council estate and went to a very poor estate school. However I would describe myself as upper working class. I own my own home, or will do, travelled widely, am a little cultured and wise to the world. I go to watch football but would never wear a football shirt when on holiday. I am a bit of a holiday snob and eat/drink local when we go away, you will never see me eating a Sunday roast in Spain for instance. I could be lower middle class but I did not go to university and do not have a career, I have a job. 

I think we have the lower working class who live in social housing, have low paid jobs, claim UC. Middle working class as lower working class but have better jobs, probably not on UC, travel more. Then there is the underclass who may have never worked etc. Lower middle class would be university educated , parents have some money and own their own house. They may not earn massive money but also may have massive student debts. 

Rob

• I am most deffinetly working class, as were my parents. Grew up on a council estate and went to a very poor estate school. However I would describe myself as upper working class. I own my own home, or will do, travelled widely, am a little cultured and wise to the world. I go to watch football but would never wear a football shirt when on holiday. I am a bit of a holiday snob and eat/drink local when we go away, you will never see me eating a Sunday roast in Spain for instance. I could be lower middle class but I did not go to university and do not have a career, I have a job. 

I think we have the lower working class who live in social housing, have low paid jobs, claim UC. Middle working class as lower working class but have better jobs, probably not on UC, travel more. Then there is the underclass who may have never worked etc. Lower middle class would be university educated , parents have some money and own their own house. They may not earn massive money but also may have massive student debts. 

Rob

Children
No Data