Describe your very unique interest/passion

Please share your interest to me through these questions. Feel free to answer as you wish but use the questions as a guide please.

1. What is your biggest passion in life and-/or biggest interest?
  2. At what age did it come to you?
  3. How much time do you spend daily on it, and how?
  4. Has it evolved into other subtopics?
  5. How far have you come in achieving your positing in your passion?

• I am interested in business, now construction investing, also real estate, stocks but mostly just to open a company.
  • It came to me at age 18 and have now during 8 years grown steady and with more power throught the years. 
  • I spend around 1 hour atleast, sometimes i just think about my future life and really seem to be living in my mind.
  • I´ve also interests in subtopics like leadership, personal growth, reading books ect.
  • Still not achieved my vision but atleast, I´ve read, found a passion and soon to start college, but I haven´t found a good company to open yet.

Now, I am definitely more interested in your interests than mine but wanted to share my own as a warmup. 

I am so happy to read what passion you have in your life, how it came to you and how it reveals itself.

Parents
  • One of mine is science communication. I first got into it while I was at university, after seeing a talk given by an academic who spoke about the relative risks of recreational drugs versus various sports. There was also the Bad Science column by Dr Ben Goldacre in the Guardian at the time.

I actually got into the field myself to some extent, as I started working in a healthcare-related industry and ended up working as a medical writer. The things I write are technical reports rather than news articles or anything fun, but they do need to be seen and understood by people outside the field, so being able to explain scientific concepts to anybody at all is still really important. I actually did a part-time Masters degree in science communication which I finished in 2018.

Of course since it's work now there are lots of other tasks to do, so I don't end up writing for the whole time I'm contracted to work. I do get some time every weekday to do it though, usually in the afternoons. On top of that, I like watching science documentaries and listening to podcasts because I really enjoy other people's sci-comms work. Some of my favourite science communicators are Hank Green, Brian Cox, and Sydnee McElroy.

• Your work would fascinate me. Part of my research job was to write easy-to-understand reports about the effects of drugs and the research about drug use as part of drug prevention work with children.

Bad Science is brilliant. I spent (wasted) a lot of time in my job dealing with employees across the UK who were teachers but seemed to think they could do complex research evaluating drug prevention programmes. The number of appallingly inaccurate "studies" from invalid questionnaires to incorrect sampling made my head spin! I stopped every single "study". Ironically, much of my job was supposed to be helping them design valid research - listening to what they wanted to study and then designing proper research to meet their goals. I was not dictatorial, I was meant to work with them.

I liked to say "Research is a science not an art".

• Do you practice psychology or psychotherapy? I was intrigued because you are one the few people who upticks my comments on here.  Maybe that could have been an alternative lifepath for me. I've only read a couple of books on that.  By R.D Laing and Victor Frankl.

• I think i would argue with a therapist also.  I'd want to know why they were saying what they were saying all the time. I'd get affronted when they challenged me.

• You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment. A lot of the success of psychotherapy comes from the (positive) relationship between the client and therapist, there needs to be a good match. I don't connect or communicate well with people. Also, if I went to a psychotherapist I'd be too busy critiquing their technique(s) and not focusing on myself Smiley

• I researched a little bit of Skinner as i had an old friend who liked him. He was an academic in the field. We would debate and disagree a lot but not about psychology.  It left me with a feeling i would not agree with Skinner either.

I think i need psychotherapy but i am stubborn.

Thankyou for your well written and interesting responses. Slight smile

• I researched a little bit of Skinner as i had an old friend who liked him. He was an academic in the field. We would debate and disagree a lot but not about psychology.  It left me with a feeling i would not agree with Skinner either.

I think i need psychotherapy but i am stubborn.

Thankyou for your well written and interesting responses. Slight smile

Children
  • I think i would argue with a therapist also.  I'd want to know why they were saying what they were saying all the time. I'd get affronted when they challenged me.

• You're welcome. Thanks for the compliment. A lot of the success of psychotherapy comes from the (positive) relationship between the client and therapist, there needs to be a good match. I don't connect or communicate well with people. Also, if I went to a psychotherapist I'd be too busy critiquing their technique(s) and not focusing on myself Smiley