Is autism a disability?

My council had autism on the application form and didn't specify it had to be a certain level in order to be registered disabled with them.

This site refers to autism as a developmental disability:

www.autism.org.uk/.../what-is-autism

This link regarding discrimination throws autism being classed generally (ie unqualified) as a disability into doubt.

I find this rather confusing:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/check-if-youre-protected-from-discrimination/what-counts-as-disability/

'The definition is set out in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. It says you’re disabled if:

• you have a physical or mental impairment
  • that impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'

Is it a variable thing then according to what you are trying use the disability definition to achieve?

Is this because we are on a spectrum with varying degrees of functionality?

Parents
  • It is difficult for me to see my Autism as a disability when it has been my strength and the reason I have been so successful in life. (Although, I  am well aware that for some it is debilitating.) What is disabling is how Autistic children and adults are treated. Children are foced to tolerate noisy and busy schools with stuff dancing from classroom ceilongs. Adults have to interview for jobs where we are critised for not looking poeple in the eye. Trying to fit in and appear "normal" is exhausting. Also, we are constantly critised for not conforming which eats at our self esteem. Meanwhile, employers miss out on or inventiveness,  our work ethic, our honesty and our empathy. 

• t is difficult for me to see my Autism as a disability when it has been my strength and the reason I have been so successful in life.

Statements like that make me seriously question why some people seek a diagnosis. There's a wealth of difference between a very successful person like such as yourself and a person like me . I have no F2F friends. I never went to university. I never had a job. I have a fair amount  of support that lets  me live a reasonably healthy, but somewhat basic lifestyle. Without that support I'd really struggle.

• t is difficult for me to see my Autism as a disability when it has been my strength and the reason I have been so successful in life.

Statements like that make me seriously question why some people seek a diagnosis. There's a wealth of difference between a very successful person like such as yourself and a person like me . I have no F2F friends. I never went to university. I never had a job. I have a fair amount  of support that lets  me live a reasonably healthy, but somewhat basic lifestyle. Without that support I'd really struggle.

Children
No Data