Dislike of dogs

Hi all,

I’ve been a bit hesitant to post this as we seem to live in a society where saying you’re not keen on dogs is viewed on the same level as saying you enjoy burning children’s Christmas presents, but here goes. 

I’ve always been very wary around dogs, and have never understood the growing fascination with owning/taking pictures of/talking about them. It’s not a fear as such - I just don’t really get it and I find them unpredictable. Particularly when their owners have them off the lead, and think shouting “It’s okay - he’s harmless!” as their four-legged friend bounds up to you is a substitute for being in control. This is exacerbated by the fact that I like running, and whenever I’m running towards someone walking a dog off the lead I automatically get anxious because I don’t know if it will keep calm or suddenly bolt and get under my feet as I run past. I even under up slowing down as I approach these situations as it causes me to hesitate!

I always just figured I was a bit miserable, but in the light of my ASD diagnosis I thought I’d put it out there to see if anyone felt similar? I see a lot about autistic people having a love of animals but not too much of the opposite, so I don’t have high hopes!

Parents
  • I completely agree with you, and your opening line really made me laugh, it's so true Joy

I'm definitely NOT a dog person. I've had several very distressing encounters including being nearly pushed over a cliff when I was 5 by a bulldog who's owners just laughed and said 'he's only being friendly', there were signs saying all dogs to be kept on leads! 

Like others have said the irresponsible way that owners let them off their leads or allow them to run at or jump up at people is IMO unacceptable and to allow it and say they are just being friendly is rude and inconsiderate. I also find the attitude of dog owners expecting you to love their dog as much as they do very annoying.

I dislike the smell and the hair all over everything too and the slobber and wiping their bums on the carpet, eeww!

I deliberately don't go for walks in lovely places designated for walking because they are always full of irresponsible dog owners (notice I'm not blaming the dogs, they are just doing what dogs do) and I also wont go in cafes, restaurants etc that allow dogs.

Please don't think I'm hating on dogs, I'm not, they are just not for me. I have similar opinions about other peoples children Laughing

• I completely agree with you, and your opening line really made me laugh, it's so true Joy

I'm definitely NOT a dog person. I've had several very distressing encounters including being nearly pushed over a cliff when I was 5 by a bulldog who's owners just laughed and said 'he's only being friendly', there were signs saying all dogs to be kept on leads! 

Like others have said the irresponsible way that owners let them off their leads or allow them to run at or jump up at people is IMO unacceptable and to allow it and say they are just being friendly is rude and inconsiderate. I also find the attitude of dog owners expecting you to love their dog as much as they do very annoying.

I dislike the smell and the hair all over everything too and the slobber and wiping their bums on the carpet, eeww!

I deliberately don't go for walks in lovely places designated for walking because they are always full of irresponsible dog owners (notice I'm not blaming the dogs, they are just doing what dogs do) and I also wont go in cafes, restaurants etc that allow dogs.

Please don't think I'm hating on dogs, I'm not, they are just not for me. I have similar opinions about other peoples children Laughing

Children
  • I also find the attitude of dog owners expecting you to love their dog as much as they do very annoying.

I think this is probably my main issue. Dogs are just being dogs. There seems to be a societal insistence that you love dogs, in a way that doesn’t apply to cats, goldfish or iguanas!

I’ve had people in the past try and reason me out of it, like it’s my responsibility to learn to love their dog. No thanks. I love Star Trek: The Next Generation. I don’t roam around the woods with an iPad forcing people to watch it, shouting “Don’t worry, Worf is harmless!”

Sorry, got carried away with my analogy…