Interesting fact of the day

I encourage you to reply, but not more than once a day, with a interesting new fact. Let’s stretch this out instead of dumping all the interesting facts out all at once. (Btw feel free to comment on the interesting facts as much and as often as you want)

edit: posting a source for your fact is strongly encouraged.

Parents
  • After the Treaty with the British Prime Minister Lloyd George of 1921 after attacks by the Black and Tans from WW1, signed by Michael Collins, a very bitter and divisive Irish Civil War broke out, in which men who had fought alongside each other in the Easter Rising of 1916 were bitter enemies in 1921, which saw whole families in Ireland at loggerheads with each other for decades afterwards, which also saw the Assaination of Michael Collins as Commander in Chief of the Irish Free State forces, representing Eamon De Valera as Taoiseach of the Irish Free State Provisional Government 

• Dev was imprisoned in my local prison for a time.

• I've been to Kilmainham jail - is that where you mean? A wee fact related to that: they filmed parts of The Italian Job there, using the cells. I've never seen that film, and wouldn't be rushing to, but a fact is a fact. 

Reply Children