Old proverbial 'sayings'

My head is a repository of all the old sayings my mum used when I was little and they stuck.

I only ever hear people my age (50+) using these now.

It's a shame if their use disappears completely.

I'd be curious to know whether any of the younger members of the forum know/use these.

Please share any you know.

There is a lot of wisdom in these.

A few that spring to mind immediately.

A stitch in time saves nine.

He who hesitates is lost.

Look before you leap.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Jack of all trades, master of none

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Out of the frying pan, into the fire

Youth is wasted on the young

Kill two birds with one stone.

A bad workman blames his tools

A fool and his money are soon parted

Honesty is the best policy

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Careless talk costs lives

Don't rob Peter to pay Paul

Parents
  • Slightly off topic, I remember the training I got when I first started working with students with ASD, at the time ASD and Learning Needs were interchangeable (sadly for many - still is!!!!).

One of the things I was told by a "respected" educator of additional needs was

"You can't use any phrases like 'raining cats and dogs' because an autistic child will take in literally, and think it's actually raining cats and dogs" 

Most of the people will still be in positions of authority in education, and will probably still think this is the case. 

• Slightly off topic, I remember the training I got when I first started working with students with ASD, at the time ASD and Learning Needs were interchangeable (sadly for many - still is!!!!).

One of the things I was told by a "respected" educator of additional needs was

"You can't use any phrases like 'raining cats and dogs' because an autistic child will take in literally, and think it's actually raining cats and dogs" 

Most of the people will still be in positions of authority in education, and will probably still think this is the case. 

Children
  • Which leads me to ...   train an idiot and you get - a trained idiot.  Some drink from the fountain of knowledge while others merely gargle. 

Those who can, do. Those who can't teach. Those who can't teach, teach teachers. And those who can't teach teachers become Ofsted inspectors.

On experts:    x is an unknown quantity or a has-been, and spurt is a drip under pressure.

In life, sometimes you are the pigeon, and sometimes you are the statue. It happens. Deal with it.

When all is said and done, a lot more is said than done.

There's light at the end of the tunnel ...  [sound of a train horn]

What happens when I push this button?

" I'm sorry, Dave. I am afraid I can't do that."   (2001 A Space Odyssey)