Old proverbial 'sayings'

My head is a repository of all the old sayings my mum used when I was little and they stuck.

I only ever hear people my age (50+) using these now.

It's a shame if their use disappears completely.

I'd be curious to know whether any of the younger members of the forum know/use these.

Please share any you know.

There is a lot of wisdom in these.

A few that spring to mind immediately.

A stitch in time saves nine.

He who hesitates is lost.

Look before you leap.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Jack of all trades, master of none

A rolling stone gathers no moss.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Out of the frying pan, into the fire

Youth is wasted on the young

Kill two birds with one stone.

A bad workman blames his tools

A fool and his money are soon parted

Honesty is the best policy

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

Careless talk costs lives

Don't rob Peter to pay Paul

Parents
  • If in doubt, give it a clout.. (Old T.V. Engineers saying)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

About as easy to accomplish as poking butter up a porcupines bum with a hot needle.

He/she had a face for radio / a face only a mother could love / a face like a bulldog licking pi55 off a nettle.

He could fall into a barrel of *** and still come out sucking his thumb!

It was a tough fight but once more I managed to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory.

The best laid plans o' mice and men, aft gang agley (I don't actually know precisely what that last bit translates to, but use it anyway)

And I must mention the young lad I saw in the street contemplating a long line of footprints originating form a smeared dog poo, he must have been about 9, and he said, in such an OLD voice, "a little of that, goes a long way"....

• If in doubt, give it a clout.. (Old T.V. Engineers saying)

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

About as easy to accomplish as poking butter up a porcupines bum with a hot needle.

He/she had a face for radio / a face only a mother could love / a face like a bulldog licking pi55 off a nettle.

He could fall into a barrel of *** and still come out sucking his thumb!

It was a tough fight but once more I managed to wrest defeat from the jaws of victory.

The best laid plans o' mice and men, aft gang agley (I don't actually know precisely what that last bit translates to, but use it anyway)

And I must mention the young lad I saw in the street contemplating a long line of footprints originating form a smeared dog poo, he must have been about 9, and he said, in such an OLD voice, "a little of that, goes a long way"....

Children